SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hurlee

what plants are you 'editing' this spring?

hurlee
13 years ago

I have been contemplating the changes I will make when the snow goes away. There are some plants that I have tried in different locations, in different combinations, and they just aren't working for me.

Do you find the longer you garden, the pickier you get about the plants that are considered keepers?

Here are some plants I'll be giving away:

achillea-

not sure of the exact one, but it's pale pink/white. It flops all over everything, the color is just kind of blah. It's a gonner.

Day lilly-

Once again can't remember the name. But it's a very pale yellow. Seems like there are more than the usual dead and dying strappy leaves on this one. The flowers are just a blah color. It's outta here.

nepeta walkers low-

I have one in a bed that looks great with a ring to grow through. But is is very high maintnace. Sprawls on the other plants, always needs cut back. So I have a bed with 5 walkers low in the front. They looks great in spring, but I just don't have time for the constant pruning.

phlox-

THere are a few that I love.. particulary blue paradise. But there are a few that have reseeded everywhere and have take over and their roots are so strong they are invading the space of other plants. I can't keep up with their reseeding and it seems like my entire bed is now phlox.

veronica-

I have a really tall version(i think it's a veronica). It flops on everything. I'm sick of it.

The problem is all of my beds have some type of shade from other houses, trees, etc. So none get full sun all day. I wish I had that.

I guess I have no tolerance for floppers, or pale colors, now that I look over this.

so what are you getting rid of? Does anyone seem to have less tolerance for plants you don't love?

jody

Comments (21)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!