SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sweetannie4u

Images of My April 2011 Country Cottage Garden

Annie
12 years ago

I was just looking through last year's photos and came across the April 24th, 2011 garden pictures.

Man! I didn't remember it looking that lush and colorful.

I hope everything survived last summer's severe drought and extremely high temperatures.

{{gwi:637738}}

Spring generally does pretty well here, but in the last several years, by the end of June or July, it burns up and it's a battle just to keep everything alive, let alone worry about them blooming.

{{gwi:637740}}

In this part of the garden, most of the flowers are Spring blooming, or early Summer flowers.

{{gwi:637742}}

Then it gets very hot and extremely dry and they go dormant. The Salvias take over, some Daylilies and a few roses attempts to bloom, but nothing else grows in here that is this colorful and it gets sad looking.

This year, however, I am going to try sowing lots of Zinnias in here again and other warm season flowers, like Sunflowers in the back along the fence row, with Calendulas, White dwarf and tall yellow Marigolds, white flowering Sweet Allysum and whatever else I can find that can take the extreme temps and dry conditions. They should do pretty good in here now that I have been able to greatly improved the soil.

If they grow and thrive, I'll post pics.

Some of the green shrubs in the background outside the garden fence died last year due to the drought and an infestation of white flies. I'll have to dig all of them out and try to find some other evergreen shrub to replace them with not prone to white flies.

Comments (11)

Sponsored