SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sweetannie4u

Indigenous Meadow Above my Country Cottage - photo heavy

Annie
13 years ago

Heading up the hill. The Big Woods is on the South (right) side. At the top, you can just make out the farmer's field. He planted Winter wheat, harvested that and reseeded with Prairie Brome Grass new type of hay crop to area farmers this year. He did not spray this year, thank God)

{{gwi:625558}}

Flowers in the Meadow in 2010:

Black-eyed Susans, Brown-eyed Susans, White Fleabane daisies, Coreopsis (not blooming yet), Golden (Short) Coreopsis (beginning to bud), Tickseed (tall)Coreopsis, Green Milkweed, Ironweed (budding), Compass plant (a sunflower type plant - flowers follow the sun all day), Prairie Roses - 8 inch rose plant with a single white bloom, Stiff Aster (not blooming yet), White Heath Aster (invasive not blooming yet: kills tractor tires and breaks blades), New England Aster (not blooming yet), Bull Thistle (not blooming yet), Horsemint (budded), Jacob's Ladder (not blooming yet), Night Shade (white and purple), Showy Evening Primrose (finished), Illinois Bundleweed (not blooming yet), Purple Mist Flower (Not blooming yet), Touch-Me-Nots (not blooming yet), Butter cups, Scarlet Indian Paintbrush, Cow Vetch (finished), White Sweet Clover, White & lilac (very rare) Yarrow, Cinque Foil (not blooming yet), Wild Blue Phlox (finished), Liatris (Gay Feather)(not blooming yet), Butterfly weed (finished), Fringed Puccoon, Prairie Larkspur, Yellow Sourgrass, Yellow Indigo plant (beginning to bloom), Goat's Beard, Ivy Leaf Morning glory, Nodding Wild Onions, Rosinweed, Pussy Toes, Thoroughwort (not blooming yet),...and more.

{{gwi:625559}}

* Prairie Gentian used to grow & bloom until the farmer sprayed with herbicide on the field above our meadow. It rained down into our property and washed down into my herb garden, wiping out 95% of my herbs. It took out all of the wildflowers in our meadow. Nature has helped me reseeded it, but it took 10 years to bring it back to where it is and not all of the wildflowers have been replaced yet.

* Passionflower vine (Maypop)- GONE. Gas company sprayed with herbicide and killed out down on our road front. This is a rare plant here, It used to be abundant)

* Prairie Guara (ditto #1)

* Butterfly weed (ditto #1)

* Liatris Rough, Blazing star (ditto #1)

* Liatris Gay Feather (ditto #1)

All of the above Prairie wildflowers are indigenous to Oklahoma. No exotics allowed.

{{gwi:625560}}

Brown-eyed Susans. Yarrow, Fleabane

{{gwi:625561}}

White yarrow

{{gwi:625563}}

Native Prairie Grasses:

Indian Frost Grass, Sideoats Grama, Prairie Cord grass, Little Blue Stem, Pink Muhly, Love Grass, Canadian Rye, Big Blue Stem, Switch grass, Bottle brush grass, Porcupine grass, Blue-eyed Grass (finished), Foxtail grass, Prairie Dropseed, Buffalo Grass, Copper shouldered Sedge, Umbrella Sedge, Northern Sea Oats, Prairie Three-Awn, Blue Grama, and others.

Fleabane daisies, Brown-eyed Susans, Prairei Larkspurs (tiny can't see in pic), Praire grasses, Eastern red Junipers

{{gwi:625564}}

Native Okla. WildSeeds seeds to be sown this September:

* Oklahoma Indian Blanketflower (Gaillardia) (protected state wildflower)

* Wild Bergamot (I have these growing in my garden. Seeds collected from across the road from our house where it USED to grow in abundance. All was sprayed, so they no longer grow anywhere along our road)

* Maximillion Sunflower - Seed gathered a few miles from here last summer. I have them growing in my garden and will collect seeds form them to scatter in the meadow above.

* Native Okla. Guara - Giant plants w/soft pink flowers. Taller than the garden varieties. Blooms only in late summer. Will gather seeds to sow in the meadow

* Blue Flax

* Yellow Gaillardia (this one grew in great abundance north of here in a beautiful little meadow with many other flowers. Someone bought the little meadow. mowed it off, planted Bermuda grass and parked an ugly old trailer on it. Their kids have junk strewn all over the yard. They have cars and trucks parked in the yard. The beautiful little meadow is gone! I sat there and cried.

* Butterfly weed

* Liatris Rough, Blazing star

* Liatris Gay Feather

* Yellow Coneflower

** More Meadow and flower images to be added. Dogs and cats accompanied me on our morning walk. Got pics of them too.

Need to take a break. My neck hurts and my legs & feet are numb.

~Annie

Comments (16)

Sponsored