SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
token28001

Fess up.

token28001
15 years ago

What are your secrets. Time to share things you do that you've learned from others. Tips, techniques, cheap suggestion, etc. Any topic, any plant, anything to help us newbies. You know you've got some good ones to share. Please?

Okay, I'll go first. I was searching for cheap methods to apply bottom heat. So I found a site that uses rope lights and kitty litter in a plastic storage bin. The pictures aren't the best, so I made a new one tonight for my seed starting next month. I'm using it now to bottom heat some hardwood cuttings that are just starting to root.

All clickable thumbnails, I hope.

An empty tray.

{{gwi:637353}}

A layer of fine sand instead of kitty litter. I visited my parents in SC, it's free. They're in the sandhills. I pour boiling water over it and let it cool before draining it.

{{gwi:637355}}

The rope lights are twisted into a single layer giving somewhat even coverage. As the sand warms, it will spread the heat. OUTDOOR LIGHTS ONLY!

{{gwi:637356}}

Leveled smooth with my grout trowel. A zenful experience.

{{gwi:637357}}

Double checked the lights are actually working since I didn't do it before hand.

{{gwi:637358}}

On the top level of my propagation rack so I can raise and lower the lights easily with a chain attached to the joists above.

{{gwi:637359}}

So come on, share. Anything. Seed sites, stores, soil mixes, tips for growing roses, forcing spring blooms indoors, planting techniques...I can't think of any more right now, but you know things. I know you do. I've seen your gardens. Fess up.

Comments (19)

Sponsored