SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
firefightergardener

Hobbiton conifers of the week, May 21st

Another week, some great sunshine and now thankful for some rain. Creates bright photography too so here's another batch of plants as Spring surges into Summer.

Pinus mugo 'Rodda' - Very compact small dwarf(about 3 centimeters a year), and has a distinct look to it.

Picea orientalis 'Ferny Creek Prostrate' - Almost a groundcover though it grows very slowly too. Maybe 3-5 inches a year peak in all directions but up.

Pinus uncinata 'Kovarska' - Very compact, less then an inch a year, this perfect ball is about eight years old.

Picea abies 'Dandylion' - A Bob Fincham cross of Picea abies 'Pusch' and 'Gold Drift'. Some great bright gold growth, and a few signs that cones are coming already. Wild form.

Pseudotsuga menziesii 'Fretsii' VERY distinct foliage, grows between four and eight inches a year. A nice dark green color.

Closeup.

Thuja occidentalis 'Teddy' - Not quite the amazing mound of 'moss' like Stephen's plant at Foxhollow, yet still neat, this ball of fuzz has been unbroken by snow/rain because of the protection from above by a larger doug fir.

Sciadopitys verticillata 'Ossorio's Gold' - Really bright and graceful and one of my most cherished conifers.

One big ass hosta(Sum and Substance), because it was amongst the photos.

Picea abies 'Argenteaspica' - One of the best contrasting Spring plants I have, the color holds here in the Pacific Northwest for 8-10 weeks before mellowing out in late Summer to a beige-green. This is a good example of a plant I will keep at almost any cost - I'll simply prune or remove those around it. The great ones will stay, the lesser ones will be moved to the botanical garden or the compost pile.

Abies koreana 'Gait' - Doing it's thing(coning at an early age, conical, narrow growth). Chase one down...

Closeup.

Abies procera [Hupp's Seedling #4] - More observations of these four dwarf/miniature seedlings from Drake's Crossing nursery, discovered by Jason Hupp. If they turn out nice(and consistent), expect to see them introduced and offered at some point down the road.

Acer palmatum 'Sharp's Pygmy'. A great little dwarf, about ten years old(5 in the ground), less then a meter wide and tall and NO pruning. A nice burgundy red in Autumn.

The view from my upstairs study. Life is good(and colorful!)

-Will

Comments (15)