SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_19734971

Ground Cover Challenge

User
20 years ago

OK - I am going crazy with this. I need a ground cover to go under three mature oak trees in my front yard in south central MO.

The soil here: packed, clay, often gravely, gooey in spring, dessert dry in summer, grass sporadic and weedy. Top it off with light to moderate shade and four bee hives and I'm in deep!

I would like a less than 4" tall, compact, evergreen or semi-evergreen cover that handles minimal foot traffic, deal with shade and drought, and not attract most of the thirty thousand bees across the yard. (who I must say have been very well behaved in the past considering my gardens are all out front here, too)

I have a list of plants a mile long and it's making me dizzy. First I thought Vinca minor (periwinkle) - nope - it's invasive. Then I went to stepables.com and they do have lots of really nice stuff, but pricey!! Wow.

Oh, and just to make it a real challenge I can't afford to buy a bazillion plants. We just don't have it in the 'landscape trust' (LOL). Seeds would be better.

My latest idea is thyme. I already grow thyme in the herb bed near this spot and I hear Wooly Thyme is a nice ground cover... what do y'all suggest?

Thanks so much to any and all who dare to confront the dreaded groundcover challenge...

Jill

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Industry Leading Landscape Contractors in Franklin County, OH