SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
specialmn1

Care of New & Old Spruce, Rhizosphaera Needle Cast

Mary4b
9 years ago

I have a 3 story Colorado Blue Spruce and many 4 story Norway Spruce. A arborist visited me and said that they have Rhizosphaera Needle Cast...well, he said that about the Blue Spruce and I believe I see similarities on the Norways.

I also have some newer blue spruce shrubs, and a new Hoopsi, about 8' tall, which I love but rather regret buying, as I forgot about my problem when I bought it. (It beckoned me...)

Ok...I am NOT going to cut down any trees at this point, although the Blue Spruce might get the wack in the next few years, when I can afford it. For this year, I am limbing it up, cleaning out the ratty limbs and want to "treat it right" to see if it can do better with some TLC.

Please help me with a plan.

My ideas are:

1. to give optimal care to my Hoopsi, and the Montgomery & Procumbens shrubs, so that they will, hopefully, not get Rizosphaera. I'd like to learn how to fertilize them properly and water them properly. I do believe that they are all sited correctly...full sun, plenty of space around them, and I am committed to any watering regimen.

2) I believe there is a spray, also, which I'd like recommendations on which to purchase and when to apply. I think it might be about RIGHT NOW, as they are all just starting to candle in the last week.

3) For the old trees, I'd like some ideas on what I could do to fertilize them (if recommended) and what kind of watering regimen huge trees like this should have. We do have the sump pump water draining right now (as of 2 weeks ago) at the base of the CBS, I thought I'd leave it there for the summer months unless folks think that's a bad idea. Our washing machine water goes in there, so it's gray water. (No bleach. I don't HAVE to put my wash water in there, it's supposed to go to the septic, but that's old so I am trying not to stress it.) This tree has never been watered by us, we have a very high water table here and my immediate neighbor is actually a (mostly) spruce lot owned by a local landscaping company...they plant trees there and sell from that lot. They have no water there. However, the decline of my tree started in the late 2000's when we had some really dry years and I was putting my gray water on a hosta bed instead of the spruce tree. The hostas loved it and really gained in size.

So, what should be my plan and how to execute it? I am aware that the CBS is most likely a goner, this problem is all over Wisconsin...last summer in Hales Corners near Milwaukee, I saw TONS of trees with the same symptoms as mine. It's a big problem all over, and the word is that the recent dry summers stressed the trees too much.

Comments (10)

Sponsored
Buckeye Basements, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars31 Reviews
Central Ohio's Basement Finishing ExpertsBest Of Houzz '13-'21