SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
linnea56chgo5b

Worth saving poor performers?

We had frost last night so I assume I will be digging soon. I had several kinds that really underperformed. They were Apricot Sorbet and Procyon. These were bought at Sam's Club, where I got some really good ones last year. The other were bought individually or in 2-packs at Lowe's, Home Depot, and Walmart. They (and all the others)were started in March inside: even with the extra-long growing time Procyon and Apricot Sorbet had just started making buds recently. Some (I had 8) had less than perfect spots, since I ran out of room and put the more "important" dahlias in the best spots, but even the ones in good locations were budding out at pretty much the same rate.

Is it worth digging and saving these? I don't know whether to blame me or them for the poor performance. As with any plant, there are those that are stellar performers and those that should be pulled off the stage. Other kinds have given me at least 2 months of bloom so far (Bishop of Llandaff, Akita, Veritable); the little "window box" dahlias have been going strong all summer.

Comments (2)