SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
narcnh

Trovita Blooming Now?

narcnh
17 years ago

IÂm confused. So are, I think, my citrus trees. Last month I brought all nine pots indoors for the winter. They are all in south-facing windows and get good sun all day. From what I have read, Trovita orange blooms in the spring. Mine is a little over two years old and is blooming now for the first time. At first it was just one set of buds, but now I see that there are lots of other buds forming all over it that will open over the next several weeks. In addition, it is putting out a lot of new growth as are several other trees (e.g. Kaffir lime, Bearss Seedless, both just over two years old). This is healthy growth, not leggy or pale. The Bearss is also covered in new buds and blooms. I just harvested my first lime from it, and there are another seven or so in various stages of development. So, if this continues it looks like starting next year I will have an almost continuous supply of limes from this tree. The Improved Meyer lemon, two-years old, is covered in blooms, has set several fruit and has many more buds coming. Even the one-year old Lisbon lemon (new this summer) is blooming. While I have read that citrus go semi-dormant inside during the winter, with all the new growth I am thinking about fertilizing my trees. The active trees are also taking a lot of water. I think the actively growing ones are all pretty pot-bound, even though I repotted them this summer. This all seems a little crazy to me.

So, my questions are:

Is it usual for a Trovita orange to bloom in the late fall?

Is it usual to see lots of new growth in the late fall?

Should I fertilize the actively growing and blooming trees? IÂm thinking maybe some time-release fertilizer, nothing drastic.

All trees are true dwarfs in plastic pots, either 10 or 12 inches across. Soil is basic Wal-Mart potting soil with some perlite thrown in for drainage. No supplemental lighting and no humidification in a very dry New England house. There was no leaf drop after bringing the trees inside.

Thanks,

narcnh

Comments (5)