SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
schoolhouse_gw

Verbascum

schoolhouse_gw
15 years ago

What's your opinion on Verbascum? Will two (providing they survive) put on a nice show? One enough? I'm thinking of ordering the "Caribbean Crush".

Comments (28)

• schoolhouse_gw
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I now read that it is easily started from seed and blooms the first year? Anyone have experience in growing from seed?

• frogview00
    15 years ago

I use verbascum like larkspur.

Jim

• schoolhouse_gw
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Does it normally have one flower stalk, like the common yellow that I always referred to as a weed or wildflower?

• christinmk z5b eastern WA
    15 years ago

I like Verbascum because for the fact that it is always one of the first perennials to bloom in the spring. I have a few different kinds (I know the names of only half of them).
    They are not predictable plants, at least for me. Sometimes one will die out for no particular reason. Sometimes, in the spring, the plant will be half the size it was the year before. Then sometimes that same plant will get huge and bloom its head off. There is no telling with Verbascum. Thats why I just let em' do their thing and not fuss over them. All I do to them is deadhead and sprinkle slug pellets around.

I have gotten some nice seedlings from them. Last year one came up that had a mixture of purple and peach in each flower. They can be tricky to move though, what with those long tap roots. If you get seedlings make sure you move them while they are young.

As for whether one or two plants would be best, I say it depends on the effect your going for. I have a few scattered about the garden and also a little patch by my white fence. I like it best en masse. If one plant dies at least there are others around it to bloom.
    Hope this helps!
    CMK

• token28001
    15 years ago

I just wintersowed some this past week. From the pictures, I like them better in mass plantings. I guess I will find out. Just sowed the plain white. For the moon bed.

• frogview00
    15 years ago

I only have the common yellow. The hybrids for me are not tough enough. I find they need more attention. I don't know why, this is just what happens at my place.
    We let the common yellow come up wherever it wants.

Common Jim

• schoolhouse_gw
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for all the feedback. I don't think I can resist this Caribbean Crush, so I might take a chance and buy two. White would be nice, too.

• libbyshome
    15 years ago

Verbascum 'Jackie' is good. I find verbascums tend to revert when they reseed. Like jim, I let the Common Mullein reseed, then remove any seedlings I don't want.

Libby

• frogview00
    15 years ago

If it grows in a row, its not a weed. LOL

Jim

• schoolhouse_gw
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I wish I could remember that name - Common Mullein, I never can when I want to, thanks Libby. Yes, I usually have lots of seedlings, too and let them be for the most part. (off topic- my car decided it needed to suddenly go to the mechanics this afternoon, so my seed and flower order may be delayed anyway. Give me more time to think about the Verbascum purchase)

Do the hybrids get as tall as the Com.Mullein? Jim - pretty cute.

• libbyshome
    15 years ago

Do the hybrids get as tall as the Com.Mullein?

No way. Hybrids generally grow 2 - 3 feet tall. Mullein is huge....grows into the sky.

Libby

• frogview00
    15 years ago

The yellow I have is not the mullein (although I'd like that too). My verbascum gets to about 3-4 feet. I also have a "white" though not pure white that we call an "annual" (could be a local discription). The foliage is different and resembles that of dandylion foliage. It gets to about the same height as the yellow.

• janen
    15 years ago

Where can we find seeds for Caribbean Crush? It's very pretty.

• schoolhouse_gw
    Original Author
    15 years ago

If that's true about the size Libby, I think I've seen this plant at my nursery. They usual have an orange/coral color that has a darkish eye and the cost is around $5. Altho that Caribbean Crush, if it would bloom those shades, is still very beautiful. Decisions, decisions.

• tiffy_z5_6_can
    15 years ago

Well, I haven't posted on this forum for some time but your post woke me up. :O) I simply enjoy all of the Verbascums/Mulleins probably because I find them to be fickle ones in my gardens.

I must admit though that my favourites have to be the giants such as Siberian, Olympicum, and Slendidum. They are truly remarkable plants. Here is a 'small' Siberian.

{{gwi:238930}}

• DYH
    15 years ago

{{gwi:633149}}From Defining Your Home Garden

This is verbascum 'Southern Charm' in April 2008. It bloomed another 3 times, but had fewer flowers each time. It's a short variety (so far) -- just a bit over knee-high. I was down at an angle to fit it in the photo.

Cameron

• schoolhouse_gw
    Original Author
    15 years ago

tiffy - I like the clear yellow of your Siberian.

Cameron - that is what I see at the nursery, but there it always looks "delicate" I can't find the right word; but I always pass it up thinking it just doesn't appear very hardy. Now I have a better idea of what it could look like in the garden. Thanks. I'll not order from the catalog and wait until it becomes available here.

• schoolhouse_gw
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Mullein in winter, ready for the next generation.

{{gwi:633151}}

• lindakimy
    15 years ago

Plant a lot!

{{gwi:633153}}

But you will have to wait. It's a biennial.

• DYH
    15 years ago

My verbascum 'Southern Charm' comes back every year from the same plant and doesn't seed out. This spot is shaded a bit by a crape myrtle. I have thought about trying to move it, but I don't want to lose the plant.

Cameron

• schoolhouse_gw
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Oh, lindakimy that looks so pretty. I want the white too now.
    A biennial? Like some hollyhocks. Well, I might be able to wait if it blooms like that. Thanks for posting.

• lindakimy
    15 years ago

It was gorgeous. There are a few still in my back beds. I hope they will do something this year. LOVE those. I wish I had more seeds to put out. Dh and I used to call them "ironed on plants" because they were so flat on the ground the first year. Then they burst up and made such a lovely statement!! Beautiful! And surprising.

• Boop
    15 years ago

Hi,
    I was lurking and decided to try and find a pic of moth mullien I started from seed years ago from Pine Tree. Sometimes it acts like biennial, other times like a perennial. The purple seems to be the best reseeder. I've moved it before but it really pouts and usually dies.
    I started a alba from seed and had a few blloms the first year. I should have a nice patch next year. Boop
    {{gwi:633154}}

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    15 years ago

I love common mulliens, and verbascum. I allow the commons to plant themselves pretty much where ever they want to be. I had a gorgeous verbascum, several years ago. It was yellow, with a lavender bee. It lasted a couple of years, didn't seed, and finally disappeared!! I guess I need to look for seed next year!!!
    Boop, that's a nice shade garden!!!

Nancy.

• schoolhouse_gw
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I'm certainly not a cottage garden expert, but I think this flower says Cottage Garden very, very much. Hmmmm, I just love that white in lindakimy's photo.

Not sure if I've seen a purple at my favorite nursery, but I know that they have a color similar to Southern Charm and come to think of it, maybe that white. If so, I will definitely buy ALL three!

• libbyshome
    15 years ago

{{gwi:633156}}

Libby

• gottagarden
    15 years ago

I have several verbascums and love them. They are short, and hardy in our tough winters. But they don't seem biennial, perhaps it's because I deadhead, but I've had some for at least 4 years.

I had the wild common mullein seed in my gardens, but I don't like them much. I think you need to get a named variety. Mine would get huge, but only ever have a few flowers blooming at once, never a big blazing inflorescence. It was disappointing, seeing how large they got that they didn't bloom more prolifically.

• grandmachris
    15 years ago

I grow wild mullein when it comes for its first year foliage--gorgeous! I grow the second year stalk as long
    as I can stand it.

A couple years a mullein came to the sunny perennial garden
    I help with at our church. I prevailed against other garden tenders and it was saved. More attention and questions came about it than any other plant in the garden!

Chris

Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida