SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lacey_k

Brand newbie Gollum jade help

lacey_k
9 years ago

Hello, all. This is my first post on Gardenweb. I have been lurking this forum all evening and have learned so much! I have just begun trying my hand at plants. My only experience is a sweet basil starter plant that I saved from certain doom at Wallyworld (which is growing indoors and getting pruned like crazy).

For the same reason that I have a home full of rescue animals, I fear I may soon be overrun with rescue plants as well. I found a Gollum jade plant that stands about 1 foot tall by 1 foot wide at HD yesterday - potted in regular potting soil, drenched, with standing water in the pot.

Got it home and everything looked decent. I poured the excess water off, did a little trick I read on here to get the perched water out of the bottom. The plant looks mostly healthy to me. There is some scarring. Not really mushy or droopy or anything. There are a couple of concerns though.

1. Something white on parts of the plant. Don't think it's mold or a pest of any kind. But I am not the expert. Thought it might be mineral build up possibly? I tried to show it in the close up picture.

2. Several, maybe ten, leaves spread throughout the entire plant are a kind of yellow sickly color and mushy. They fall off if you touch them. I've read some places on this forum that it is normal for older leaves to fall off and I'm wondering if that's what this is since it doesn't appear to be widespread or specifically plaguing any one part of the plant. I posted an example of this in the last picture, it is the leaf directly in the center of the photo.

3. I know I need to repot into a gritty mix and I am working on getting the supplies together for that including the fertilizer. This plant came from outside and will surely experience a transition period now that it's indoors. Should I wait any specific amount of time before repotting it? I don't want to shock the plant. I really, really like it. :) Also, if I repot using the gritty mix, can I use a substantially larger pot? It's my understanding that a jade plant will grow to its container and I'd love for it to have room to grow, grow, grow.

Thank you so much for taking the time to read all of that. I've already learned a lot just from creeping around but I'd love some specific advice!

Comments (8)