SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
paulzie32

Beaucarnea recurvata vs. B.guatemalensis

paulzie32
14 years ago

Many years ago, when I was in my early teens, I bought my first Ponytail palm at a church fund raiser. It was in a 4 inch pot and had VERY long curly leaves that made it well on to the table. My Neighbor had a larger one that was about 5 feet tall and ALSO had leaves that hung well on to the floor.

It died many years later after an early frost, but when the internet came about and I looked up ponytail palm, they all had shorter leaves. I've done a bit of searching and it seems there are several different species.

Unfortunately, the one that seems to be the most common and available at this time is the one with the shorter leaves. But both varieties appear in image searches of both, so I'm not the only one that confuses them.

I'm assuming the two varieties I'm talking about are B. recurvata and B. guatemalensis.

I'm guessing B. recurvata has the shorter leaves and B. guatemalensis the longer, but only because there's more corresponding images under the corresponding name.

I've also seen B. stricta and B. gracilis, but those do not look similar to either and both appear to have even shorter leaves.

Any one know much about these two plants? Can anyone shed any light on these plants?

Comments (12)

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars29 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus