SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hairmetal4ever

sigh...stupid halide light!!!

hairmetal4ever
18 years ago

All was well till 2 weeks ago. My Oro and Trovita were settled into their new winter home in my basement under my trusty 1000W Metal Halide grow light. Then my ballast fried. The ballast smelled like burnt Herballife pills. Of course it was on a Friday evening and God forbid a hydroponics store be open on a weekend, so the poor things sat in near-darkness for the weekend till Monday evening (when I got home from work and stopped at the store) when I got a $100 slightly used Hydrofarm ballast and I had light again! In fact brighter than before, so I assume the ballast was in a decline for a while.

Two days later, THIS new light fries! It's Friday AM now, and Friday evening after work I get a third one, luckily the store guaranteed the light so I didn't have to spend more money. This one is a Hydrotek and when I fire it up, I let it run for three full hours Saturday morning and it never brightens up to more than maybe 25% of what it should. I open the ballast case and-GASP-NO CAPACITOR!!!!!

So they will replace it, AGAIN...but by now my poor citrus plants are rapidly defoliating and my Trovita has dropped every last orange! :-( Luckily my Oro still hasn't lost as many leaves, and still has it's single green fruit on it. Hopefully tonight when I get home and get the 4th and hopefully final ballast hooked up I can be back in business.

How long will it take for the plants to recover from this? Both plants' newer growth seems intact, it was mainly the older leaves that fell off. The Trovita has probably 50% of it's leaves still firmly attached (I shake a branch and they don't fall) and the Trovita maybe 90% of what it had two weeks ago (although this one lost a lot when I first brought it inside this fall).

Comments (12)