SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
super600

how many hours under 600watt halide?

super600
9 years ago

I have had lots of different peppers on my deck in pots all summer ( cayenne, jalapeno, scorpion, sweet cherry red and some cool ornamentals ). Most of them i want to keep all winter so i can get them off to a good start next summer. I have read about over wintering but i do not want to cut my plants in half and i actually would rather they keep producing over winter for me. I bought a 600watt halide to grow them under in my basement. My sweet cherry reds have been ripining faster in 3 weeks then they ever have outside. However the leaves are a lot softer in feel and are more of a lighter green color rather then a thick strong green leaf. At first they werent doing good at all and just drooping even when they had water so i took the light from 100% to 60% (phantom ballast) and they seem to be doing a little better. The only thing i can think of is even at 60% they may be getting too many hours of direct light. On my deck they would get about 6 hours direct light every day, i have my 600watt lighting them up for 12 hours a day. I thought 12/12 would be a good combination to keep them growing fast but maybe thats too much direct light in one day?�

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations