SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
arylkin

lots of shade, please help with foundation plants and a screen

arylkin
10 years ago

Our neighbors are a wreck. We moved in last year and I hate looking at their crap along their house every day. They even have a recyle bin along the side of the house which has been full of garbage since the day we moved in. Ugh.

Its partial shade I'd say. There are a lot of trees, though the area straight above is clear of anything. It has a southern exposure.

I'd really like something to screen of their house, and something that will fill in quickly. I've been thinking, and the only thing I can really think of is a staggered double row of Green Giant Arborvitae, sine I'd like something quick growing that will fill up the area soon. I'm a little worried there won't be enough sun though for the arborvitaes, particularly since it does become shadier towards the street from a huge silver maple. There are also some far reaching tree roots in the area, will that be a problem for any trees planted?

Also, since I have your attention, if anyone has any ideas for the side of our house next to the neighbors I'd really appreciate it. Currently, it's horrible. I hate the two little ball evergreens. We haven't trimmed them in the year we moved here but they haven't grown any- I am not a fan of evergreens shaped into little balls which are everywhere in our neighborhood.

It's pretty shady, which is the main problem, especially since it's under our large eaves. There is a little (6"?) tree stump in the center from a tree that the previous owners must have cut down. I really love wild look of juniper shrubs, though I don't think there's enough sun for those.

I'd appreciate any ideas or recommendations!

Here's a pic of the edge of our house and the neighbors:
{{gwi:695249}}

A pic of the trees overhanging the area, though the sky is open above:
{{gwi:695251}}

A pic of the side of our house which needs desperate help:

{{gwi:695253}}

Thanks again!

This post was edited by arylkin on Fri, Apr 11, 14 at 23:10

Comments (4)

Sponsored
KA Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review