SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
matisse_gw

Cottage-ish foundation planting- need help

matisse
17 years ago

I got the gardening bug last summer, when I decided that our new house needed serious landscape help. So I'm very new at this...and need help!

I ripped out all of the planting in the front of the house (tiny white ranch). I extended the garden, making it tiered, and took the one out in a circle around a tree. I'd share a picture but it's covered in snow at the moment...

In any case, it's a south side, with the garden going from 6-8 hours of sun a day, down to bits that get 2-3. Jackson and Perkins sells a collection of shrub roses (3x3)that will do well in part-shade, and I really want to just see how they do in the more shaded area (they will, at minimum, get 4 hours of early morning/late afternoon sun).

I'm worried about a few things, though. Since the roses are going to be mixed with lots of different kinds of flowers, should I use different sizes, or should I stick with 6 of the same type and use different colors to ad texture/variety? I'm going to put the roses in the top part of the garden. I haven't decided if I want to just randomly plant them or if they should be clustered together via color (they will be tiny, 3x3). Any suggestions welcome!

For more information, in the top bed with more shade, I want to plant Foxgloves, Cardinal Flowers, some Mixed bee balm and astilbe.

In the top bed with more sun, I want to plant Dellphinium, Lavender, baby's breath and reblooming iris. I've yet to decide what to plant in the lower tier more sun-part (i'm thinking salvia, catmint, peach-leaf bellflowers), but in the shade part, around the tree, I'll do a mix of Coral bells, astilbe, Jacob Ladder, Toad Lily, some blue hostas, and a bleeding heart. I will also plant a begonia or two.

I'm also thinking I'll throw different bellflowers in the top garden on both sides, if space allows.

I've only designed one garden before, and I did it on instinct alone. Everyone loves it, but this year I'm trying to order my plants from online nursery's to save money and get better plants, so I need to make some decisions on paper.... I'm nervous about it, especially since I'm so new to this and everyone around me is like "no lilac or azaleas or boxwoods?"

Any thoughts/suggestions?

Comments (5)

Sponsored
A.I.S. Renovations Ltd.
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars15 Reviews
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County