SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gardengranny2_gw

Poppies and Peonies (photo heavy)

gardengranny2
14 years ago

I wanted to get these shots in before the thunderstorms come this afternoon and drive these beauties to the ground.

Every peony I have ever met holds the most delicious fragrance. I would grow them for that alone.

This peony is 'Festiva Maxima'. It developed botrytis blight last year so I dug it up to put into pots and watch it. When I dug it up it fell into several pieces. The roots (tubers?) were huge. I had to sever the length because they were too long to be accommodated by the pots.

The stems on Festiva Maxima seem sturdier than some other peonies I have in the garden. They hold up better in the rain (for the most part).

I am utterly amazed that they have bloomed this year, with no sign of blight. If they continue to be this healthy I will plant them in the garden come fall.

{{gwi:625070}}

{{gwi:625071}}

{{gwi:625073}}

Peony 'Bowl of Beauty' is a stunner.

She is extremely floriforous. The bi-colored flowers are so heavy that the rain is weight that she can handle.

I am fortunate to have been able to get these upright photos. Usually what happens is as soon as she blooms we get a major downpour (as is expected this afternoon) and as a result flops to the ground and all bent stems require cutting back.

{{gwi:625074}}

{{gwi:625075}}

{{gwi:625077}}

{{gwi:625078}}

I'm not sure anymore if this is 'Felix Crousse' or 'Karl Rosenfeldt', I have both and they are very similar.

{{gwi:625080}}

{{gwi:625082}}

{{gwi:625084}}

{{gwi:625086}}

I'm sure this lovely pale pink single has a name, but I have no idea what it could be.

It has very simple, perfect blooms that are extremely sturdy and unaffected by rain (heavy or otherwise). A true sight to behold when all the flowers are fully opened. It is overcast today, and the flowers are only semi-opened. They open to the light on sunny days and close again in the evening.

The fragrance reminds me of 'Bazooka Joe' bubble gum- come to think of it, so does the color.

I will post this again when in full flower.

{{gwi:625088}}

{{gwi:625089}}

'Sarah Bernhardt' peony will be along soon. It is one of the last of my peonies, along with either 'Felix Crousse or 'Karl Rosenfeldt'(wish I could discover the difference).

However, another big surprise for me were the following blooms of oriental poppy. After being divided and transplanted to a new location last fall, I thought it would be a couple of years before it would provide blooms again. Seems to be very happy in its' new home.

{{gwi:625090}}

{{gwi:625091}}

{{gwi:625092}}

{{gwi:625093}}

{{gwi:625094}}

Comments (6)

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor