SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kydaylilylady

Asparagus-long.

kydaylilylady
17 years ago

Since Chris asked about asparagus I thought I'd just start another topic.

When we bought our place several years ago, by the time we got possession of it there was this huge weed field in back of the house. I was pretty sure that's where the daylily field was going to be but I wasn't sure about exactly what was out in that rascal. We borrowed my father's small JD tractor, belly mower and tiller and revved it up. I'm sure if he'd known exactly where it was going he'd have died right then. As we started down through the 9 ft. tall weeds I noticed this stuff that looked like it was in a row. I was raised with asparagus so at least I knew what it looked like. I was quite pleased to find that I had 2 fifty foot rows in the mess. I also discovered two rows of thornless blackberries in amongst the mess. Couldn't have been happier.

As far as asparagus, if the stalks are spindley and on the shorter side I suspect that the asparagus hasn't been there that long. Probably only a year or two. Usually you buy plants and according to the directions dig a trench 6-8 inches deep. As the asparagus starts to grow you back fill the trench. You don't cut the asparagus at all the first year. It will get not much bigger than knee to waist tall. I know only because I bought another 12 plants this past spring.

The second year you can cut sparingly. The stalks will be spindly, probably not as big as a pencil. I personally wouldn't cut it more than two weeks. Supposedly the third year you can cut it longer. By the fourth year you should be able to cut it the entire season, which for us it about the middle of April through about the first to middle of June. Then you let it grow up to store reserves for the winter.

Asparagus is a pretty heavy feeder. I usually give it a dose of 10-10-10 in March about the time I first fertilize the daylilies. It's certainly not minded it. It also likes rich organic matter. My grandfather used to put the chicken litter on it and it would go wild. I also use the Snapshot to help keep the weeds down. Read on my Fusilade DX jug that you can also use that on it to keep down the grass. You can bet it's getting a dose of it next summer.

Chris, I'd say that your asparagus is young if it's short and spindley. Mature stalks can be bigger than a man's thumb and when left to grow will get at least six ft. tall.

Give it a couple years of care and you'll enjoy fresh asparagus in the spring for decades with a little care. You'll also see seedlings pop up here and there in the daylily beds. The birds love to scatter them. You can just lift them and put them where you want them.

Janet

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!