SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
fern1knits_gw

Asparagus not sprouting - give up or give it time?

fern1knits
10 years ago

I'd love some advice on my attempt at growing asparagus.

I followed the advice from my trusty Rodale organic gardening guide: prep the bed in the fall, plant bareroot crowns in early spring in trenches 6" deep with a mound for the crowns, and mixed with well rotted compost. I planted 24 Jersey Knight crowns almost two months ago (unlike most, we've been having a balmy spring) and there has been no signs of growth.

Today, fed up, I decided to dig up all of the crowns. Sure enough, no signs of growth. As I was almost finished digging them up, I accidentally tore one of the crowns and, whereas the outside of the crown looks like nothing is happening, the inside looks very much alive.

Part of why I decided to give up is hearing stories from several very experienced and very successful gardeners in my area (Boise Idaho) that they were unable to sustain a crop of asparagus long enough to get a good harvest. Even though our zone is 6A, we have very HOT and DRY summers, so maybe not a good place for asparagus.

So, what do you all think... should I give up on asparagus and use my nice well prepared bed to grow some extra potatoes, or should I replant them and give them more time?

Comments (16)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting