SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jbclem

Is my tree dead....how to tell

jbclem
17 years ago

I have two problem citrus trees, a dwarf Late Lane Navel, and a dwarf Tarocco Blood orange. Both transplanted last Feb, both were triving at previous location(about 4 years old). The Navel lost all its green color and leaves after transplanting and sits now with tan and dark brown and grey branches. I've cut some of the branches/twigs and think I see some green color inside, but it's been in the ground for 8 months without a sign of life.

The Tarocco did ok until the long summer heat wave and it has now lost all it's leaves (possibly from too much watering). It still has green branches but also some brown and some tan branches. I've cut pieces off of the tan branches and think I see some green inside.

These trees were moved from the Malibu coastal zone (hottest temp around 85 deg) to Topanga Canyon (hottest temp 110 deg, plenty of 95+ days this summer).

I'm not ready to dig up the Tarocco, but I'm trying to figure out if I should give up on the Navel.

Is there a way to know for sure if a tree is dead or not worth waiting for (given that there is some light green showing inside the cut branches).

jc

Comments (5)