SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nightbloomincereus

Thanksgiving cacti starting to bud 2012

Several recent posters have mentioned that their plants have begun to bud and bloom. Looks like it is indeed that time since mine are doing the same; although a lot of them still seem to be actively growing. I think the buds began to show about mid week, and all but one or two are still tiny. Once they are a little further along I'll post some photos.

I don't have any names for this menagerie; all of them are no-id plants I got from grocery stores, a large ebay purchase which just named colors, other purchases where the names got lost, and the local Lowes in Manassas. My yellow might have come from Hirts 6 years ago, but I can't remember. Adict, I don't know what you mean.

What has been almost as interesting as the flowers is watching the growth habits of these plants. Some are very prone to branching, others have sets of four or more phyloclades in a row before they branch (the yellow one tends to do 5 or 6). At least one tends to make 3 new stems at each branching. Most are just too young (or were treated in ways they didn't like and collapsed) and haven't had time to grow (regrow) enough to show their mature habits.

I'm also hoping that my Christmas Cactuses will bloom for me this year. I had another much larger one which was given away a while back. These are newer starts from my mom's heirloom plant and seem to have reached a good size. Not bad for lose pieces dumped in a pot with a poinsettia. Knowing them they will wait till the day after Christmas just to be difficult. :-)

Adam

Comments (2)