SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
highlandernorth

When do you expect your first fully open blooms?

highlandernorth
11 years ago

I tried to start my Dahlias much earlier than last year, as last year I started the first few on May 25, and the last few on June 11. They were dormant tubers then.

This year, I tried starting some in late April, and even mid april, but I discovered that they grow MUCH slower when its cool outside. But most tubers were planted in mid-late April to early May. I also planted 2 dahlia plants acquired from Hilltop dahlias on April 18. Plus 2 more plants from them about 8 days ago. The tubers planted in the ground in mid April took quite a while to come up. Most were pinched at 3rd leaf levels just 8-14 days ago! So it took between 30-37 days for them to grow to the 3rd leaf level from planting time to pruning time. Last year that only took about 25 days on average.

So anyway, my 1st and largest 3 plants will be blooming between 2-4 weeks from now. The first one started showing buds about 8-10 days ago, and the 2nd about 3 days ago. So I expect the first bloom of the year to fully open on around June 25th or so. Its Fitzy's dark Angel, a freebie plant sent by Hilltop Dahlias with my order. I'd say that 90% of the rest will be blooming in 6-7 weeks. The last 2 in 8 weeks or so.

Last year mine started blooming on Aug 5th, and the last one started blooming on September 12th. This year the first will be on around June 25, and the last about Aug 10. So I'm way ahead of last year, which was my goal, even though I'd hoped to have some blooming by June 15.

I'm growing about 17 different varieties this year, compared with 7 last year.

Comments (21)