SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
monkster926

Tangelos have no flavor

monkster926
15 years ago

Hi,

I am new to the forum. I have a question about my tangelo tree/fruit. I live in Gainesville, FL. I have an Orlando Tangelo that is 5 years old. The problem is that the fruit has no taste. Every year the tree is loaded with fruit. The fruit just plain doesn't have any taste. The tree is probably upwards of 8' tall. Came as a gift from Home Depot. I had plenty of wild bees this year. Next to it, I have a 10' Ambersweet that does really well - fruit is great. The trees are in my backyard. I keep them pretty much disease and pest free. I water with drip irrigation but I don't over water. I use a 10-10-10 citrus fertilizer. I limed them this year for the the first time with dolomite. The soil is builders sand - my lot was on a slope and was leveled with about 6' of sand. The tangelo probably has 2-3 bushels this year so I must be doing something right. Do I need a different cross pollinator perhaps? I haven't tasted the fruit yet this year, it is not ripe. But my guess is it will not have any flavor again. Any ideas or suggestions?

Thanks!!

Mark

Comments (2)