SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
chopstocky

Indoor Lighting for Citrus

Joe
18 years ago

I have been searching around GW for info on indoor lighting setups and I think I've only succeded in getting myself more confused. Metal Halide vs Sodium bulbs vs. flourescents. Color temps for growth vs. flowering. Costs, energy usage, space, etc. My head is spinning...

Here's my situation: I have a south facing window that I planned to overwinter my citrus by. I realize given the grey skies of a NY winter that I should probably supplement them with lighting. I have a blood orange, red grapefruit,guava and lime tree ranging from 4.5' down to 10" high and plan to put them all together in front of the window to grab whatever light is available. I also have 3 smaller plants (tomatoe, pepper, maybe start a few seedlings in spring)that I just want to get through winter till I can put them in the garden.(the bedroom also has an east window for ambient light.) I plan to use mirrors or reflective surfaces to help but I would really like the citrus to grow a little (or a lot!)during winter if possible (a few flowers would be a HUGE bonus but I realize maybe unlikely). This setup would only be for winter as I would move the plants outside during summer.

I was gravitating towards Sodium or Metal Halide but I'm finding a lot of mixed reviews when they are put up against flourescent grow lights, etc. I know very little about indoor lighting and need advice from the experts.

What kind of lighting setup would you recommend for this situation?

Thanks,

Chops

P.S.- i have a very good light meter if that helps my setup.

Comments (3)