SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nikkie_in_toronto

Conifers for Southeastern US z 8/9

nikkie_in_toronto
12 years ago

Hello everyone. I will soon be moving to Charleston, South Carolina and would like to take my conifer addiction with me. I have spent most of my life gardening in Toronto Ontario and Cleveland Ohio so this will be quite an adjustment in that most conifers, especially along the Great Lakes prosper very well. I have read through quite a few older posts on here and am trying to narrow down a few specimens to search for. Most of the nurseries I've visited have very basic plant material for the Southern garden, so I would love advice from anyone who may be located in the South for sources of more unusual plant material. Also, I have a list of plants that seem to prosper in the area, but I didnt know if any of you could help and give advice with any hands on experience... I would like to go beyond the traditional Cedrus deodara, Cupressus sempervirens, Cupressocyapris and native pines I see all over the South. Here is a list of a few possibilities that peaked my interest, IMO..

Araucaria (not sure which species), Athrotaxis laxifolia Cathaya, Calocedrus decurrens, Juniperus Cedrus, Lagarostrobos franklinii, Dacrydium Cupressinium, Taiwania cryptomeroides

If you have any suggestions I would so appreciate your advice! Thank you.. N :-)

Comments (13)