SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
butterflychaser

How Did You Discover Gardening?

butterflychaser
18 years ago

Sometimes we're born into gardening/farming families. And sometimes we just happen upon a plant or a person that inspires us to garden.

I was always too busy to garden. I come from a family of farmers. As a child, I spent a lot of time following behind an aunt and uncle, plucking "tommy toes" from the vine and eagerly popping them in my mouth. Mmmmmm, warmed by the sun, freshened by the country air, there was nothing better!!!

As an adult, a single mom with two jobs, I had no desire to garden. I had no time for hobbies. A friend of mine kept trying to inspire me. She'd give me forsythia cuttings. Anyone could grow a forsythia, she'd say. Then she'd shake her head when I'd "kill" them. She gave me bags of hollyhock seeds and said "Scatter them." I did, and nothing! She'd shake her head. "Anyone can grow hollyhocks!" she'd say. I was such a big disappointment.

When she died, I helped clear out her belongings and found a bag of her hollyhock seeds and carried them home, and again I scattered. And again, a hopeless nothing.

That summer, my sis bought a house and the backyard was full of yellow cannas (Richard Wallace, I now know). Knowing nothing of cannas, I carried home about 200 of them. I planted them all over my yard! I just knew they'd find a spot they'd like and I'd have a nice little clump of them somewhere.

{{gwi:534622}}

Boy oh boy, did they ever! By August, they were all 4 ft tall!!! The next summer, they were 7 ft tall and had at least tripled in quantity. They were everywhere--an entire forest of yellow cannas! I was hooked!

{{gwi:630204}}

AND I discovered that ONE of Doris' hollyhock seeds had finally sprouted and produced a stem of beautiful burgundy hollyhocks. I wondered if she was watching.

Life, and my pocketbook, just haven't been the same since!

So what's your story? How did it all begin...well, after the earth cooled, that is.

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Central Ohio's Source for Reliable, Top-Quality Roofing Solutions