SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
crazydogs

Weekend Trivia: Saturday

Good morning friends and a happy New Year's Eve to you all.

We are staying in this evening for a nice quiet ny's eve. Things will seem new though, since I took advantage of Chuck's regular Friday night absence to rearrange the furniture in our keeping room (just a fancy way of saying the sitting area off the kitchen). I like it and when DH returned from his meeting, so did he. That was a surprise. Anyway, it looks good, but I think that is due in part to the fact that I moved out some excess stuff. It seems we have too much furniture ever since cleaning out my parents' home years ago. *sigh* too good to toss, too much to keep.

Anyway, in the spirit of the season, I have read about many of the traditions people follow which are meant to usher in a a year filled with happiness and luck. In the south here in the US, lots of folks eat black-eyed peas and greens (yuck). Hoppin' John is the name of the dish (rice with the peas). Can't remember where this is, but some people celebrate by jumping off chairs and elsewhere by throwing and breaking dishes at the door. Today's question is about a Spanish custom. At the first stroke of midnight, people in Spain eat grapes. The idea is to eat 12 before the the clock stops striking. The question is, how did this tradition get its start?

Cynthia

Comments (17)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting