SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
highlandernorth

How well do full size Dahlias do in pots?

highlandernorth
12 years ago

I NEED to plant all my dahlias a my new home in pots, because although I just moved here 26 days ago, my roommate is difficult to live with, and she neglected to inform me that many of the basic appliances and home systems are either broken or malfunctioning, and it's questionable whether she will be getting the stuff fixed or replaced soon. The a/c doesnt work, the oven, 2 burners dont work, the sink incinerator is out, the washer doesnt work, so I must go to the laundromat, the heater is lacking in effectiveness, etc. Plus, she capped the water lines going to the back yard where I would be growing plants, so there is no water source there.

So, I'll probably be moving in a month or 2!!!

Anyway, my dahlia tubers have been in the refrigerator here for 26 days now, and I'm ready to take them out and start them in pots or in trays to see which ones grow eyes. Then I hope to grow them in pots.

I bought 4 pots the other day that are 15" wide, by 13" deep, and I will be planting my tubers about 5-6" deep, where the pots are 13" wide, and they should have about 6-7" of dirt underneath them. I paid only $5.99 for the pots(each), which is a pretty good price fr a heavy plastic decorative pot.

But the dahlias I'm growing are supposed to grow 4-5 feet tall, but if they get less than 8 hours sun, they grow taller(like last year).

I, of course, will need to trellis them by using upside down 42" tomato cages with the spike ends cut off and bent into spikes and driven into the soil in the outside edges of the pot(if they will fit into the pot).

So, will larger dahlias grow in pots this size, if watered well enough? I see dahlias being sold in smaller pots than this, and there are usually more than one dahlia in each pot. So I'm hoping that 1 dahlia in each 15" pot will work out OK. I'll probably need to secure the pots so they dont blow over during a windy spell when they are grown and flowering...

If I move, I might then transplant them from the pots into the ground later, but some will stay in pots. Will that work, and will the new tubers have enough room to develop so I can dig them up and use them the next year/

Comments (11)

Sponsored
KA Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading General Contractors in Columbus