SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
todancewithwolves

Question about arthritis

todancewithwolves
15 years ago

Any sufferers of arthritis? If so, what medications do you take to relieve the pain?

Thank you!!!

Edna

Comments (33)

• lorna-organic
    15 years ago

I've had rheumatoid arthritis all of my life, Edna. I also have some of the injury-related, osteo arthritis.
    I use oil of oregano. I take it in capsule form. Raw olive oil is supposed to be good for lubricating joints. I take that, too. Try to eat a teaspoon, put it on my food at table, almost every day. (Sometimes I forget.)
    I also use plain aspirin, from time to time. Rubbing mentholated oinment into sore areas is supposed to help relieve pain.

Lorna

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    15 years ago

Hi Edna - yes, big time arthitis!!!

Edna - I have bursitis and osteo-arthitis in most of my major joints. My neck has degenerative arthitis. I have pinched nerves most of the time, and take 375 mg of Napoxen twice a day. I also take Swiss Natural Sources Glucosamine, Chondroitin & MSM - 1000mg. I give my Tom Cat Nici at 1/4 tab everyday, enrobed in cream cheese.

I'd like to stop the naproxen, and will hopefully soon. I tried a couple of weeks ago, and it didn't work. The downside of naproxen is the stomache and intestinal stuff.

Not pretty, but there it is....I hope that you are not burdened with this pain.

Nancy.

g

• Related Discussions

Boron for your roses, and your arthritis too

Q

Comments (4)
    Oh, thanks for reminding me. You can safely add only 11 lbs per acre per year. I sprinkle it on a windy day like it was fairy dust. Correct me if my math is wrong, but I think it's 42,000 sq ft/acre, divide by 12 to make it easy, 1 lb per 3,500 sq ft, that's 1/4 of a box of Forty Mule Team Borax. The drier your climate, the less likely you are to need it. If you live where trees thrive, there's a good chance you could use some boron, but most especially if you are on southern red clay. Try putting a few beet seeds among your roses next year if you aren't sure. They wouldn't grow for us no matter what we did till I'd added boron two winters in a row. Then they did perfectly fine.
    ...See More

idea for pet arthritis/aches

Q

Comments (2)
    What a cute story! And bless you for adopting, especially a senior.
    ...See More

Arthritis ??

Q

Comments (18)
    I have had shoulder and joint pain for a long time. It has finally been decided....."diagnosed as fibro myalgia and I take a pain killer for it. I can never get any real relief just from NSAIDs.... My upper arms hurt for ages and ages and they kept saying age related arthritis and I kepts on begging for help with the pain.... Part of the pain was the lung cancer.......One of the symptoms of lung cancer is neck and shoulder pain.......It was only after I went back for the umpteenth time complaining about pain, that I got him to exray and the ex-ray caught the upper area of my lungs and there was a big old honking tumor........ My point is, if it continues....make sure that he keeps at the doctor........
    ...See More

Question about hand pruners and arthritis.

Q

Comments (18)
    My answer to a question on Amazon: ARS SS-320BT Straight Blade Cultivation Scissors (Lawn & Patio) ," Do these rust ?" Here is my reply to that question : "Best little scissors ever. My first pair was issued to me on the job back in the mid 1980's. Permanent marked my name on the handles and managed to not loose them till about the year 2000. Since have tried several other similar scissors, but none stayed sharp or had the same hand feel. So happy to finally find these online. I keep mine in my front pocket of my tool belt along with a little Felco sharpener. Now and then I 'top off the edge', and to clean plant sap I use WD40 or machine oil and a little piece of steel wool. The trick is to not loose them. :) ". In addition, for those of you with hard or wrist problems but still wanting to garden, it's all about the right tool for the job. My arthritis and carpal tunnel has forced me to rethink how I do things, and these little scissors are one of my most used items. The hand grip is soft and gives just a tiny bit so theirs no sharp crunch when the cut is complete. Oh, there's still good days and bad days, but other similar tools can end up hurting me requiring a week or more to recover. I also use these regularly to pull weeds as I garden. Use one hand to grasp the weed at it base, then poke the ARS scissor tip into the soil at the base of the weed, slightly angled to the center of the weed. Gently pull up on the weed , while at the same time use the scissors to lift from below, resulting in hopefully the root and the weed coming up together. Not going to help with ginormous shovel worthy weeds, but as experienced gardeners know, weeding done often and regularly gives us manageable weeds that make great compost. Not having to go find a weeding tool when you notice a need has really helped me stay on top of things. I keep these scissors and a pair of good Felco shears in my tool belt ( look for lighter weight men's tool belts not garden aprons ) at all times, along with what ever else fits the season and am much better able to keep up with things as I age. Hoping this helps others adjusting to growing older and being able to continue loving their gardens. P.S. don't bother with any other brand. I've tried most of them while these were still unavailable. Seriously. The other ARS scissor types are nice, but still not the best in my hands. White handles only ! YMMV This post was edited by plaidbird on Mon, Feb 9, 15 at 8:53
    ...See More
  • aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    15 years ago

Have you tried Bell Shark Cartilage? When I have a flare up and the joints get painful this works for me. When I first went on it it took one and a half bottles before I got any relief, after that the pain started to go away and my mobility got better. Slowly I cut down the amount I was taking and now I just take it when I have a flare up.

Annette

• gldno1
    15 years ago

I really shouldn't respond since I have never been diagnosed other than in my foot which was severely injured when I was 19.

But about 4 years ago, I got to where I could not ride for any length of time, could not squat without yelling or holding onto something for support....I decided it was arthritis.

I began taking glusosamine with chondroitin (2x a day formula) and very quickly I improved. So much so that I rarely take any pain medication for it. I am not saying that it doesn't sometimes hurt a bit to get down on my knees, but I can do it and sometimes do it without even having to think about it. It doesn't work for some but I am convinced it is working for me!

If I need pain meds now and then, I take Extra-strength Tylenol; it works best for me.

• todancewithwolves
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I've had knee pain for years. The pain has increased. Recent x-rays show that I have arthritis in my hip which affects my knee and ankle. It's due to an injury I had in my youth. I can't imagine anyone living years on end with arthritis pain -it's horrible. It also affects your mood.

Yesterday I went to rake up the leaves in my yard and I could barely walk. I dragged myself into the house and couldn't move all day.

I've been going to rehab but that hasn't helped much. I take Tylenol Arthritis, that doesn't work either. I started taking Move Free (glusosamine with chondroitin) however it takes about three weeks to feel the effects. I want relief now - I feel like a cripple.

Lorna, I will look for the oil of oregano.

• lorna-organic
    15 years ago

Edna, you might need to support that hip with a thin pillow under your knee, if you like to sleep on your side. If your leg is raised a bit, it takes pressure off the hip joint. If it has been raining, or foggy, you will feel worse. Dampness aggravates arthritis.

Proper shoes are very important. They help your feet, ankles, knees, and hips to line up properly. There is more pain if everything is not lined up correctly.

The oil of oregano needs to build up in your body. It changes things, joints and soft tissues. I took a double dose for the first month. Then I went to two capsules per day. If it has been raining, or something caused aggravation, I take the double dose for a few days. Oil of oregano is a pain killer, antiviral, antibacterial, and antifungal. Solaray is the least expensive brand I have found. It costs about $10 per jar of 60 capsules. I go through at least a jar a month.

I used to be halfway crippled with degenerative disk disease (I forgot to say I have three types of arthritis), and a back injury. I was plagued with chronic pain. The oil of oregano changed my life. I am once again able bodied, and have much less trouble with pain. I've been taking the oil of oregano for about ten years.
    There have been no reports of bad side effects for long term usage. (Just checked up on that the other day!)

I've got my two oldest dogs on it to help keep their hips in good shape. I give each of them one capsule per day. One has no cartilage in his hips, but he can do some running and he can do stairs. The other is older and has begun to have weakness in her back legs. She can still do stairs, and she trots around the yard. These are both big dogs.

I would do the fish oil stuff, or shark cartilage, except I have sensitivity to fish and cannot eat it too often without having allergic reaction. Years ago I put a very old arthritic dog on a tsp. of cod liver oil per day and it did wonders for her.

Lorna

• lorna-organic
    15 years ago

I forgot to say that heating pads are very helpful to relieve arthritic pain. With your Irish skin, Edna, you probably don't want to have the heating pad on your hip for more than half an hour at a time. Prolonged use can cause surface capilaries (just under the skin) to break.

Lorna

• todancewithwolves
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I can't imagine the pain you've endured all these years, Lorna. I use a heating pad and I love it.

• gldno1
    15 years ago

I used to sleep with a pillow between my knees too and it did help; I don't have to do that anymore. What still hurts me more than anything is if I stand for any length of time on concrete or hard flooring. When I cleaned out the barn a couple of months ago, I suffered terribly.

Chronic pain is a terrible thing. It is depressing and it just drains your energy.

I will be checking for the oil of oregano too.

Edna, I hope you find something that helps you quickly. It usually takes the glucosamine some time too...it doesn't help everyone. I forget the time you use it before deciding if it is helping or not. A surgical nurse told me about it.

Lorna, what a miracle you found the oil of oregano. Did a doctor suggest it or did you just research and find it?

15 years ago

I've tried Glucosamine, unfortunately it didn't work for me. Out of desperation I tried the shark cartilage, the improvement for me was a subtle one at first. It was so gradual I thought I was just imagining things were starting to improve but after 2 bottles I had to admit it was working for me. Mine is a Lupus related type of arthritis.
    I have oil of oregano and have used it for sore gums also have used it under the tongue to ease a cough, but I have a blood pressure issue and isn't there a caution about using it if you have this problem?
    I have also get relief from using Jason Tea Tree Oil pain reliever mineral gel for arthritis and sports injuries, another good ointment is Bell pepper cream, wash your hands good after using this one, don't get it near your eyes.

Annette

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    15 years ago

I can handle the osteo OK - glucosamine works well for that, and if I have overdone it in the garden, many an ibuprophen. My problem this year has been two-fold. In January I snapped one of the collateral ligaments in my right knee. If you have never done this, let me tell you, the pain is instant and spectacular. I tried to tough it out with ice and ibuprophen for a month or two. Not the best plan in the world. My doctor then resisted my idea to get an Xray or MRI. Finally, I got an Xray which, surprise, show osteo-arthritis. Ligaments are soft tissue, so not much help. Anyway, I limped through summer. In August, I had a tiny little fender-bender in a store parking lot - not my fault!!!! Due to circumstances that ensued, my left shoulder, which is my achilleas heel, began to really hurt. When the pain started towards my neck, I knew I had pinched a nerve, and went back to the doc to demand an MRI. I finally went to the emerg at the local hospital, and an Xray, which, surprise, yes again, showed osteo in my shoulder. The doc there gave my T3 and naproxyen. This finally began to manage the pain. I started on a course of theraputic massage, as this has been very helpful in the past, and again, it did start to get me back to normal, and able to work around more. I still gardened through all of this, though in shorter bursts, and not a lot of housekeeping. lol. Anyway, enough whining, I had also been driving 64 kms each way to work 5 days a week, but lost so much time when I simply could not do this that I lost my job. This actually was a blessing in disguise, as I could concentrate on healing myself. Anyway, I am due to get an MRI in January, finally - this btw, is not because of our Canadian system, but the ineptness of my family doc. I need a new doc.

I just didn't want you to think that I depend on 'chemical' therapy. I hate taking pills, but it was the way to get me moving again.

Sorry for the long post, Nancy.

• todancewithwolves
    Original Author
    15 years ago

My goodness, Nancy. What a year it was for you. Therapeutic massage sounds marvelous!

I still believe there is something going on with my knee. Perhaps I should ask for a MRI. There are some things an x-ray can't reveal.

• lorna-organic
    15 years ago

Gee, Annette, I hope there is no problem with oil of oregano and high blood pressure because I have super high blood pressure. I don't recall reading anything about it.

Actually my mother saw an infomercial for a particular brand of oil of oregano and ordered a couple of bottles for me to try. I had never heard of it before that. I did some reading, had good results from taking the oregano, and have been taking it for about ten years.

One thing about arthritis is that people need to get exercise. Too little or too much exercise can cause an increase in pain. It is best to build a routine and stick to it. Oddly, if you normally get a certain amount of daily exercise, and you skip it for a day or two, you could end up with a lot of pain! Exercise helps to prevent the stiffness which can come with arthritis. Have you ever seen that troop of granny cheerleaders on TV? Every one of them is over 60 and arthritic. They do handsprings, backflips, you name it. They are incredible!

Nancy, ligaments and tendons take an awfully long time to heal. And, once damaged, they are forever weakened--easy to reinjure.

Lorna

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    15 years ago

Oh Lorna, don't I know it.

Nell, yes, if you can go to a really good theraputic, or sports massage person. I had a guy near my old home, and he really knew my neck and shoulders well, and could get me going. He could not help my carpel tunnel, and of course anything to to with bones, not so much; However!!! They can fix problems like planters fasciitis which I had many years ago, when chiropractors and doctors will prescribe orthotics for your shoes. Sports doctors or clinics are really the best for this kind of injury.

MRI's are the best for any soft tissue damage we do to ourselves, which I think are the majority of the damage we take. If it's as simple as a pulled muscle, then Ibuprophen or Tylenol are just fine. It is difficult for us to understand whether it is muscular, tendon or ligament. Many of these injuries can feel like you've broken or dislocated something. Many doctors are not sympathic to this difference.

Anyway, you need a good doctor or diagnostition to aid you in maintaining your health. Yes, if it is muscular, you can 'work' through it, as I have done many times. When it is tissue damage, you are not helping yourself. Always good to know the difference.

Nancy.

• todancewithwolves
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I'm on the road to recovery!!! Doc gave me samples of Celebrex. At least that will help with the inflammation so I can start exercising. O'Happy day!

• DYH
    15 years ago

Sorry to hear about all these arthritis sufferers. I do hope each of you finds relief.

Edna -- glad to hear you're better. Slow yoga may help with stretching gently.

My knees and hips lock up on me, but I don't have chronic pain. I've had bursitis in my hip a few times. I did PT to get rid of it.

Cameron

• applepink
    15 years ago

There is no one food or group of foods to give up that will help all or even most people with arthritis. Some people report benefits from altering their diet, but it is very individual. It varies because some people feel better when they give up animal protein, whereas some people feel better when they give up all foods in the nightshade family. Exercise also frequently relieves the symptoms of arthritis, and chiropractic treatment for arthritis depends on whether the chiropractor is a "straight" chiropractor or a "mixed" chiropractor.

Here is a link that might be useful: nj chiropractors

• memo3
    15 years ago

Well, since this thread has resurfaced again...
    How are you doing Edna? Are you still using the Celebrex and is it still bringing you relief from your arthritis pain? I took it for about nine years or so before it quit working for me. When it did work, I loved it dearly and found it to be the perfect drug for all of the pain that I endure. Nothing since has compared to it, not even the big guns (opioids). It never effected my stomach or my heart and it is completely non-addictive!! I so hope it is helping you.

And what about the rest of you? Are the treatments you mentioned above working for you still? I mentioned several of them to my multitude of doctors but the only ones they would let me try was fish oil capsules and gluc./chond., neither worked for me. I used them for more than three months so they told me to save my money.

I saw a new (the fifth) pain management doctor last Tuesday. He performed multiple trigger point injections and accupuncture on me (my left ear is full of little gold posts!). When I left the hospital that day I was able to fully extend my left arm above my head, something I have not been able to do in a very long time. He did tell me however that the treatment wouldn't last. And it did not, but it was wonderful while it did. I couldn't believe that he actually wanted to attempt to help me as none of the others would. That alone brought my spirits up to a level I have not felt for several years now! He will continue to treat me for the next month however it will just be for a day or two's relief at a time, which is a blessing and a joy. He has referred me to UNMC's Pain Management program and is recommending surgery for two electronic stimulators to be implanted in my body. One for my upper spine and appendages and one for my lower spine and legs etc. The Rancher has one stimulator that has allowed him to regain his ability to walk and has relieved much of his pain so I am hopeful of some relief. So much more hope than I have ever had in the past.

In addition to all of the severe problems of my lower spine I have a very fast moving degenerative arthritis of C5-T12, and osteoarthritis of all of my other joints. I'm fifty and my hands and fingers are already disfigured. Ach!

Would love to know how all of you are doing.

MeMo

• todancewithwolves
    Original Author
    15 years ago

MeMo, we're almost the same age and I can't imagine you going through all that pain ... God love you!!! Your too young. Have you looked into adult stem cell options? I wonder if they would have something for you? I know they did it with a 2 year old Bernese Mountain Dog and it worked wonders. The poor dog was crippled until they used some his own stem cells and injected it in to his hips. The newspaper article is gone but I found another site that talks about it.

I'm doing fine now. I took a of the Celbrex and they really helped. My hip pain is a result of an injury when I was 19. I fell 30 feet down a mountain, dislocated my shoulder, broke my wrist and injured my hip. Needless to say I'm now fearful of heights *lol*.

I went to the doctor because of knee pain. It was so bad it kept me up all night and crippled me. After many tests they found nothing wrong with my knee. It turned out to be arthritis in my hip... who would of thought it affects your knee?

Now that the cold spell is over the pain is tolerable. I only take a Celbrex when I need it. Exercise and vitamins has helped as well.

I know some people are totally against stem cell research but when it involves your own cells I'm so for it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Stem Cell Treatment for Arthritis

• memo3
    15 years ago

Oh my goodness!! I would be fearful too. I can't imagine how traumatic that must have been for you, Edna.

I had not heard of all the research being done with stem cells for dogs or people. That is fascinating! UNMC, where I'll be going next month and where I used to work before I moved out here, was huge into stem cell research, before the government put the kabosh to it. I'm going to ask about the arthritis research for humans when I am there. Maybe I could get in on one of the trials?! What have I got to loose if it's possible. Not much, LOL! Thanks for sharing that information with me. I'm so glad that pup was helped by the process. Poor little thing.

MeMo

• todancewithwolves
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Fingers crossed for you!

• blueberryhills
    15 years ago

Do those of you who suffer with arthritis have problems with skin irritations such as eczema or psoriasis?

I have a child who is miserable with eczema (supposedly) on the back of her knees, and I noticed today that her face is breaking out in the early stages. A friend of mine mentioned to me that it could be related to rheumatoid arthritis and could even affect her eyes. I have never heard this and although it's scary to think about her having it at such a young age, it would be well worth the time to investigate it if we could get her some relief.

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    15 years ago

Memo and Edna - surprised also to see this come up again. I have had MRI's on both knees, now. My GP has sent the files to a knee surgeon, to see if he concurs. How cool would it be to be painfree. Unbeleivable!!! Cannot wait. OK, yeah, I can, as I need to fit it into my school schedule!!! Crap. I'll keep you posted!!

• todancewithwolves
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Blueberry, my father suffered from eczema and psoriasis all his life. He didn't have any signs of arthritis or rheumatoid arthritis. If it's a concern I would ask her doctor. My neice also has eczema since she was a baby.

Annette, you so crack me up. DH new word is 'Crap'. He uses it all the time lately. Nothing sucks more than knee pain. I hit my bad knee a few times, by accident, and I almost passed out, the pain is indescribable. I hope you're pain free real soon. Please do keep us posted.

---

This bra commercial that pops up (no pun intended) on the left side is driving me crazy. Am I the only one who see's it?

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    15 years ago

Blueberry, sorry - I forgot to answer you!! My uncle, my mother's brother, suffered with psoriasis most of his life. He eventually got rheumatoid arthritis, in his 60's. Having just read the mayo page, I'll bet he was mis-diagnosed!! My Mum had some psoriasis, but never really anything more than osteo-arthitis.
    How old is your daughter?? I suspect that she is under 30, so do not give her aspirin, or aspirin products, unless specifically directed by an MD. Aspirin brings the risk of Reye's Syndrome. Ibuprofen, such as advil, motrin, etc. is your best bet for pain. Check out the link below - It may help you determine whether arthritis is in the mix!!

Hope this helps, Nancy.

Here is a link that might be useful: Mayo clinic

• blueberryhills
    15 years ago

Nancy, thanks for the link! That's the kind of information I've been looking for. I've googled several different things, but never came up with the Mayo Clinic.

She complains more with the itchy rash and broken skin more than she does joint pain (and occasionally with her eyes). She's 9, and doesn't sit still for very long.
    I didn't realize it would be an auto immune thing, so it looks like we might be headed in the right direction with some changes in our diet. We also have a Nutrition Center with a Naturopath here locally, I may try that as well.

Thanks again for the info everyone, best wishes to all!
    BBH

• memo3
    15 years ago

BlueberryHill, I posted to your question the other day but was in a rush and it looks like I didn't click SUBMIT! I'm so sorry. My DD2 is 16, she has a skin condition call Ichthyosis and has had it since she was an infant. It makes her skin look like scales though the scales are not raised. It does break open between the scale delineations and bleed. We use Eucerin Cream on it to help keep it in check because there is no cure for it. She also has excema of the scalp. She's been having a lot of swelling in her knees and pain in her upper back all the time but x-rays and MRI have revealed no problems. I'm going to take her to see a Rheumatologist. That might be an avenue you might want to consider.

My son has Psoriasis, he just had his first outbreak this past summer. No signs what-so-ever prior to that and he has it BAD! So far there are no other symptoms of anything else, he is 24.

Not to scare you at all but Lupus is often diagnosed by having a combination of a butterfly shaped rash over the nose and cheeks along with painful joints. In some other cases there are other autoimmune diseases that are linked to rashes. I think I would check with a doctor before trying other remedies just to be on the safe side. JMHO.
    I wish you, and your little daughter, the best in finding answers, she is just too too young to be faced with stuff like this. I hope it's nothing serious.

Nancy, I'm very excited for you about the possibility of knee surgery. The Rancher was having terrible pain in his knees and waited six months for an appointment with an orthopedic surgeon just to find out what was going on. In the end he had very badly torn miniscus' in both knees and some ligaments that had detached completely. Additionally there was the osteoarthritis. The surgeon was able to trim away the destroyed parts of the miniscus and reattach the ligaments. Then he cleaned the surfaces of the bone that were rubbing so that even though they rub together they rub more smoothly for now. He has very little pain now, it's really wonderful for him. I hope you have as wonderful a result!!

Edna, I appreciate the crossing of fingers and anything else that wouldn't hurt you, LOL!!

Hugs,
    MeMo

15 years ago

Yes lots of skin rashes with Lupus. I was diagnosed with lupus approximately 15 years ago and only then because the doctor I had retired. The young doctor who took over his practice sat patiently while I vented about all the weird things that have hit me over the years. He siphoned off blood for some tests telling me he'd phone with the results. He thought I might have Lymes disease but it turned out to be Lupus and he then said with all the weird ailments I'd complained of over the years I'd probably been suffering from this for over 30 years. There's not a lot of doctors who pay much attention to women and their complaints, also it is not the easiest thing to diagnose.
    I was given Plaquenil to stop flare ups but the side effects were worse then the disease so I stopped taking it. I found taking shark cartilage helps me, I should take a maintenance dose but when I'm feeling good I forget to. I go in periodically for blood tests to make sure all my organs are functioning properly.
    I haven't had a flare up in a long time (touch wood) but when I do they come out of the blue with no warning. The facial rash which comes and goes is annoying as are the other types of lesions. Tea Tree oil is my friend when I occasionally get one on my arms.
    I'm luckier than other arthritis suffers as when the flare up is over there is no permanent damage to the joints. Staying out of the sun is a must which is the pitts for a gardener, that's why I have so many shady areas in my garden now. Annette

• blueberryhills
    15 years ago

MeMo, bless you, it sounds like you have a plate full! Seems like I read somewhere that some types of arthritis are genetic. My mom has rheumatoid arthritis - her hands are beginning to get disfigured. (Which is such a shame, she loves to sew.) She, of course, thinks I'm over-reacting.

My Aunt was diagnosed with Lupus several years ago. She has been in a constant flare up for 3 or 4 years now. She got some good results from acupuncture - but the treatments were so expensive and not covered by her insurance that she had to stop taking them. She has that tell-tale butterfly rash and the joint pain is immobilizing at times.

Little bit's rash on her face is closer to her chin and neck and it's little tiny bumps - and it itches - she can't keep her hands off of it. Truth be told, it probably bothers me more than it does her. It's something she has to learn to live with - but I can't do anything to fix it.
    BBH

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    15 years ago

Not sure if this would help the itching, but when I get into poison ivy, or react to cedar bushes, I use witch hazel. It is amazing. I use a cheap power(makeup) brush to apply it. It is the consistency of water, has no smell, but apparently tastes awful - they use it sometimes on kids who chew their nails. Works way better than calamine or cortisone creams. I have emailed my cousin about the new cream her son is using for psoriasis - it has apparently almost cured him.

Nancy.

• memo3
    15 years ago

Hey Annette, Can you tell me why it is that sun is a no-no for Lupus sufferers? This thread has made me recall a couple things from my past that I probably need to remember to my Rheumy. Hmmm. Some of the pieces may be falling into place.

MeMo

15 years ago

MeMo, Lupus sufferers are very sensitive to the sun, it can cause flareups... skin rashes, fatigue, joint pain, it triggers all kinds of weird things, at least with me.
    I've been told to stay out of the sun between 10-3, wear wide brim hat, long sleeve shirt and sunglasses, most important wear a 30+ sunscreen.

I've got lots of shady spots in my garden whereas when we first moved here it was full sun. When we're out and about with the sun beating down you'll find me sitting or standing wherever I can find shade.

Annette

I try to follow these instructions as best I can but there are times....

• lorna-organic
    15 years ago

I have rheumatoid and an atypical type of eczema. When I get a lot of sunshine, I have few patches of eczema. Late fall through early spring, I am prone to multiple sores, particularly on my torso. I found that taking a Vit. D supplement is helpful in preventing the sores during the seasons I don't receive much sunshine. However, the Vit. D in fortified milk is not at all helpful to me, it triggers arthritis attacks. I only drink non-fortified milk.

Yes, rheumatoid can affect the eyes. Eyeballs are made of collagen. I use artificial tears to control the dry eye which my arthritis causes. Without the extra lubricant the simple act of blinking causes abrasion and erosion of the eyeballs, most notably the cornea, which can cause blindness.

Sponsored