SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
majandra_gw

Ants in my lemon tree pots.......

Majandra
12 years ago

Hello citrus lovers. I have 3 questions about my lemon trees that I have had for about 2-3 years now (grew out of seeds)and keep them on my patio.

I noticed ants on my patio few days ago and just today I realized that they might have a nest in one of my lemon tree pots..... i lifted the pot up and there were many of them under there.... i don't know how to get rid of these ant without killing my lemon trees. I also don't want the ants to move into my second lemon tree pot. Past few weeks has been very hot and dry here and after I watered my lemon tress these ants started showing up..

I have heard about some boric acid traps but I was wondering if there are other homemade traps i could use. I also heard that ants dont like baby powder...

Also my smaller lemon tree looks sick..or if something has been eating the leaves. I noticed a small caterpillar under one of the leaves which I removed, but the leaves got more wholes few days later (no sign of another insect this time)

One more question is; I cut the top off my tall lemon tree several months ago and now i have 2 branches growing. do I do anything or just let them grow, or if prune them , then when? i would like these lemon trees to start looking more like trees than a tall thin trunk with some leaves and without branches.

Thank you for all responses!:)

Below you have photos of my little lemon tree (with some eaten leaves) and the top of the bigger lemon tree)

{{gwi:4108}}

{{gwi:628141}}

Comments (17)

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths