SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
davidinsf

Non flowering dahlia

davidinsf
14 years ago

Hello all. Lurker/learner here with a dahlia question. Sorry for the length.

I planted a store bought tuber 3 yrs ago (I don't know the name - threw that away years ago with the package), planted it in pretty much full sun (at least what little sun San Francisco gets in summer) in a huge clay pot. It bloomed nicely year one - which happened to be one of the sunniest summers in SF I have seen in over 30 years.

In year 2, it bloomed but I could sense it was getting 'weaker' if you know what I mean. It just didn't have the same pizzazz/quantity/size. (I do NOT dig up my tubers and replant yearly) Year 2 was the WORST summer I have seen in SF also, so I thought it was the fog that may have inhibited it. Last year (yr 3) it came up real late, not all that exuberant looking and proceeded to flower from 3-4 stems but NEVER BLOOMED ONCE. (Year 3 was an average sun year). The foliage looked 'weary' or tired. Small leaves that took forever to grow only to produce NADA.

So I dug it up the other day and my goodness, the whole pot was full of tubers in 2 main clumps. There must be 30 tubers total. I know not all tubers have eyes and I do not want 30 dahlias of the same color anyway so I am going to toss the majority but any advice on why this once healthy dahlia kind of died a slow death? Only 1 -2 tubers were rotting - most were hard and looked fine. Other dahlias planted in Yr 1 are workhorses now - just this one died. I did feed em last year but with Miracle Gro (I know, my bad) though I didn't feed em in year 2.

I see no disease or thrips and I spray my dahlias anyway, so do you think it was the soil? The location? The clay pot? Not enough sun, didn't like the view, too many tubers, any ideas?

Thx.

Comments (15)