SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
amytheartist_9

Does my Jade plant have rot at the base?

AmyTheArtist
11 years ago

Hello everyone, I joined here hoping I could get some help.. I'm pretty new to having plants of any kind, so I'm not entirely sure what rot can potentially look like (though saying that, a couple of the other stems that were originally in the group I got did get rot at the base, but it was worse and fit the descriptions I read of it [squishy, blackish, shriveled inwards]. I was able to salvage the tops of those stems, though they're not growing much of a root system, with roots less than 0.5mm long, and some of them changed color from white to a lightish brown color..)

I'm not sure if the bottoms of the stems shown in the attached photo are rotting or not, since they don't look quite like what I've encountered before, and they still feel firm.. If they are rotting, what do I do? Cut off the bottom parts? I'm worried the leaves don't have enough water stored to survive having to grow new roots (if that's how it works)... As it is, the leaves are getting soft and wrinkled, not plump and firm like they used to be... Does that indicate it's not taking up water and hence has root rot? What color(s) should healthy roots be, come to think of it (so I know what to look for if I do have to try and make them grow new ones)?

The parts of the stems in question were originally underneath the soil I got it in, and are also usually covered by what they're in now (a mix of perlite and miracle-gro succulent mix), if it's relevant.

Sorry I have so many questions.. Any advice on any of this is greatly appreciated! :)

Comments (29)