SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
amazindirttn

has anyone used BioComp?

Amazindirt (7a TN)
16 years ago

Hey all you smart folks --

In my quest for a non-peat base for my cactus/succulent mix, I came up with BioComp 50/50 compost. BioComp is a small NC-based company. I volunteer at UT gardens, and we use their products extensively in propagation. Anyway, BioComp 50/50 is 50% composted bark and 50% composted peanut hulls. It's great for rooting cuttings and such.

I'm planning to combine this with perlite and sand. I haven't quite decided the ratios yet -- will play it by ear. But does anyone here have favorite tricks or extra additions for their mixes? I don't think I can get coarse pumice here without shipping, and I'm not willing to pay for shipping, so that's out. OTOH, I could add small gravel (like fish tank gravel) if anyone thinks that would help -- I've read pros and cons to this sort of addition.

I am most concerned with agaves, haworthias, and huernias -- secondarily also aloes, sedums, echeverias, and bromeliads (cryptanthus, dyckias, aechmea, neoregelia, bilbergia, etc.). I also have some cacti and other succulents, of less importance to me.

Any input would be welcomed!

Comments (2)