SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
flowerfarmer_gw

Cutflower Growers Journal May 1 - 7

flowerfarmer
19 years ago

Happy May Day! Don't forget to hang a May Basket on a friend's door, ring the bell, and disappear before they see you. Oh, that brings back childhood memories. On one of these forums awhile back they had quite the conversation going about different containers used for May Baskets.

It is pure craziness around here these days. Two of our markets start this week. We have been pulling out canopies from storage, inspecting them; and, repairing one that received damage in a huge gust of wind last fall. We've re-sprayed the metal saw horses we use at market. And, collecting all the old crates together. Actually, the crates were used for our dahlia tubers in storage. Today we will do a trial run with our set up.

We started planting tubers this past Friday. We plant two acres by hand--two men and a shovel! Our tubers are too large for a planter. We tell ourselves how this gives us a greater connection to the land, etc. These pep talks work for awhile anyway. Then, we move on to something else.

The battle with a mole in one of the hoophouses continues. We have tried Steve's suggestion with the hose hooked up to the exhaust system. After nearly afficiating (sp)ourselves, we've discovered that tactic didn't work.

LizaLily, I've had many a cuppa with my feet propped up these last several days. My feet are usually killing me. I am really not liking birthdays that end with 0. I have been bone tired. Today, I actually woke up and felt rested for the first time in weeks. This is a good thing.

Kirk, if you haven't planted your gladioli bulbs yet. It's time.

Tomorrow we start direct seeding sunflowers. I mentioned in another post that we lost 70+ flats of zinnia seedlings last weekend. I replanted more; and, these should be ready for the field May 15--our last frost date (we hope).

Have a great week; and, enjoy your moments in the sun.

Flowerfarmer

Comments (11)

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations