SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
edthomas25

Help rescue my Meyer Lemon

EdThomas25
9 years ago

I've loved reading the depth of knowledge in the forums here... but before doing anything drastic I wanted to get everyone's thoughts on what's wrong with my Meyer Lemon tree.

I bought the tree from a local nursery about 2 years ago. It's potted in a galvanized Ikea pot (with drainage holes added) in a standard Scott's potting soil mix (which I now realize is bad). We live in Atlanta, and it spends spring through fall outside in the sun on our sidewalk and winters inside in a sunny window. It gets full afternoon sun while outside -- probably 4-5 hours a day, which unfortunately is the most we get anywhere on our property (lots of old-growth trees). In winters, it's getting 3-4 hours of sun in a south-facing window.

I water it infrequently -- maybe once every two weeks during the summer -- and when I do I "flood" the pot with a pitcher of water, let it drain, then empty the saucer that it sits in so there's no standing water. I try to move it onto the porch when there's a thunderstorm too to keep it from getting overwatered. I fertilize it with an organic citrus fertilizer about once a month during the summer.

It did fine for the first 2 years or so, but has struggled since this winter. The leaves are yellowing and dropping (see photos), and we got no new growth this year, although it did bloom and set fruit. It looks like it's slowly dying.

I've tried giving it chelated iron, since it the yellowing pattern on the leaves looked like chlorosis, but nothing changed.

Am I dealing with a case of root rot? (and if so, how do I go about repotting the tree so it has a chance of survival?) Is there something else going on?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Comments (7)

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES