SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jmcat_gw

Info on Fern Propagation?

jmcat
16 years ago

I have a fern in one of my terrariums that has self-spored, and now there are various dense patches of prothalli. However, they have not sprouted baby ferns (at least that I can tell) yet, and I am wondering what I could do to encourage them to produce ferns. I know that ferns need water droplets to be fertilized, and I have at times misted them or sprinkled them with water, but to no avail. I am thinking that the problem is that the surrounding soil is too wet for water droplets to sit there on the surface. Should I take the patches of prothalli out of my terrarium, let them dry out enough that I can keep water droplets on them, and then try sprinkling water on them? Would it work to take these patches out, soak them in a container of water, and then put them back in? Another question is: How long do prothallai have to be in water for spermatozoa to swim into the archegonium? Also,there are some unidentified leafy-looking things (same color as the prothalli) sprouting out of the prothallus patches. They are on a short stem, and are shaped like a regular clover leaf with a shallowly cut notch (making two rounded parts on each lobe) on each lobe. Are these the "seed leaves" of a fertilized, sprouting fern? Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks,

-Jmcat

Comments (13)

Sponsored
Foremost Siding & Exterior Design Solutions in Columbus