SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
theparsley

How quickly will ferns spread and propagate?

theparsley
7 years ago

I just moved into a new place, and I have a small city patio garden (Zone 7) on the north side of a 3 story building, so there's little direct sun except some in the morning. There are a few things already in the 7' x 7' square garden space but lots of it is just empty right now.

I'm trying out a few ferns, among other things. I haven't really done shade gardening before so I'm not fern-literate at all. Got some ostrich fern (Matteuccia struthiopteris) divisions from friends who have a similar teeny patio garden and were clearing out excess, so it looks like the ostrich likes it here. I also got an Eastern wood fern/Marginal fern (Dryopteris marginalis) at a native plant sale and have planted that. I'm figuring out what else I might like to put in the first year.

My question is, how much should I expect these to "fill out" and spread in the course of the first growing season or two? (Assuming they like the conditions and have normal growth) I'm a cheapskate and am happy to spend some time bringing the plants along rather than buying a lot of plants immediately; on the other hand, I don't want things to look sparse out there forever. So far I've gathered that the ostrich will spread pretty aggressively if I let it, but I'm not clear on how long it will take. The D. marginalis seems like a more moderate grower.

Comments (6)

Sponsored