SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mrmorton_gw

September Already?

mrmorton
16 years ago

It would just feel wrong to post a September journal entry in an August journal. So...

What the heck happened to the summer? It always goes by in a blink, doesn't it? While I love the Fall, I am not ready for it to be here yet. It bothers me how the "media" is always proclaiming Labor day as the end of summer, when we ALL know it doesn't leave until the 23rd. Heck, it's 90 out today. Definitely still summer.

Anyway...

I seem to have a Hummingbird friend now. It's been visiting my garden pretty much everyday for the past week or so. I went out and bought a feeder for it, and now it ignores the plants and goes right to the feeder. It even made an appearance during our picnic on Monday, much to the delight of my family. I've tried to take some pictures, but most have not turned out. The couple good shots I have will be uploaded to my album.

There was also a Mantis doing its thing, and you would think that these people(my family) had never seen one before. It caught a couple bees(bad mantis!) and the poor thing couldn't get any meal time privacy.

Lately, I have noticed a curious thing in regards to Dragonflies. In the evening just after the sun has gone down, some Dragonflies show up over my yard. Eventually, there seems to be around 10 or so. They fly around in circles over my yard, occasionally swooping down low, then going back up. It's really quite neat to see. I wonder if this is some kind of Dragonfly "ritual" or they are just doing this randomly. Google doesn't turn up much info on this. Anyone ever see such a thing?

Getting away from critters, the garden looks pretty good for this time of year. All my grasses are blooming and looking great. My SA Clematis is starting to bloom(first year), and I have an amazonian Aster getting ready to explode. The annuals in pots and window boxes still look really good, too.

Finally, over the weekend I worked with Benjamin to get him riding his bike. Taking off the training wheels seemed to help a lot. He's a bit afraid of hills, and has a hard time turning around, but I'm really proud of how he progressed from barely being able to ride the bike with the training wheels, to riding along pretty good without them. He's a good kid.

Ok, that was more than I planned. Your turn!

Comments (16)

Sponsored
M&Z Home Services LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Established Home Remodeling Expert Since 2012