SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mark4321_gw

Platyceriums for a cool, but frost-free climate?

mark4321_gw
9 years ago

Hi,

I'm just curious whether people have suggestions for Platyceriums that can grow in a cool, but frost-free environment. I live in a Sunset zone 16 climate (USDA zone 10b?) South of San Francisco that even last year, with its severe freezes most areas, experienced no frost (also the two winters previous). However, I also am not as cool in summer as San Francisco or the immediate coast. I'm also not as hot as places such as San Jose or even Palo Alto. It's a bit of a happy medium.

I'm curious about Platyceriums besides P. bifurcatum and its close relatives. Those of course do great here. I'm particularly interested in the larger species. My sense is that possibly we are borderline for P. superbum up here (?). I'm curious if anyone has any opinions or experiences I'm curious.. I would emphasize that I am more "Southern-California-like" in terms of both absence of cold yet some summer heat, than just about anywhere up here. The drawback is that we still get a LOT of temperatures in the 40s and 50s in the winter.

I'm also curious if there are good sources for these plants that may not be obvious. I have not grown from spores, but I have a background in laboratory Biology, so such techniques should be straightforward to me (and kind of fun). i can also trade for a number of plants, many uncommon, just not other ferns, most likely. I grow all my plants outside here.

Comments (13)

Sponsored