SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
chris_sciarretta

Cacti for fruit production -- best species, varieties?

chris_sciarretta
17 years ago

Hi,

I am in love both with unusual fruit and with cacti. I have tasted the fruit of a number of species, which ranged from amazing to barely palatable. Unfortunately, the most readily available types, prickly pears either from the store or harvested from the wild, I find usually mediocre at best.

Is there anyone out there with personal experience eating cactus fruit?

My question is: which specific species and/or varieties produce the best fruit, and under what conditions?

In my area I can grow in the ground only the hardier cacti (zone6), so I am also interested in fuiting cacti for pot culture (indoor-outdoor plants).

I have tried the following, maybe someone can help round out this short list...

-- Prickly Pears (Opuntia engelmannii, O.macrocarpa, O.phaeacantha, O.littoralis) These are usually too mucilaginous and not sweet enough for me, except for fruit from two specific populations, one of O.littoralis, and one of O.engelmannii)

-- Hedgehog (Echinocereus fendleri, E.triglochidiatus, E.coccineus) Fendler was excellent, the other two mediocre

-- Cereus peruvianus, excellent taste

I would love to try some of the so-called "strawberry cacti", as well as Organpipe and Pitahaya agria.

Any info whatsoever would be greatly appreciated,

Thanks,

Chris

Comments (6)