SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sugi_c

Fern ID and Pruning Advice

Hi guys,

Having moved to a new house, there are quite a few plants that came with it. I'm removing a lot of them but there are a few I want to keep, if possible.

{{gwi:613929}}

One of them is this a large fern in a huge clay pot. I am not certain, but it's probably been in that pot about 5 years.

I'm aware that it probably should be taken out, root pruned and repotted above all else -- but honestly, I have neither the will nor the manpower to do this right now. I am relatively certain that I can't make that pot budge by myself...

As you can see below, there is some new growth and there's also quite a bit of dead growth on the plant. While it's been totally neglected for years, I'm sure -- I am willing to fertilize and water it, so I'm hoping if I give it a good prune, I could make it look a little "fresher".

{{gwi:613933}}
{{gwi:613937}}
{{gwi:613940}}

Originally, I thought of chopping off all of it to the base and seeing what happens. I'm not that keen on going in to pick out the dead leaves and prune them unless I absolutely must. Or can I chop off half and it will come back?

Reading up on it, though, I'm seeing that depending on the fern, if I prune it wrong, I could kill it. So...I guess I first need to find out what kind of fern I have?

However, I know nothing about ferns. I have a Maidenhair Fern that only thrives if I toss it into the shade and ignore it but that's the extent of my experience with ferns.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Comments (9)

Sponsored