SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
incunable1453

My New Tree: A Journey

incunable1453
11 years ago

Dear All,

Meyermike was a great help to me when I got my new Meyer Lemon tree a few weeks ago, and suggested that I post here about getting, planting, and then attempting to grow my first tree. That sounded like great fun, so I hope you'll join me on this new adventure! None of the pictures will be great this time because the good camera is in Houston, but the next set should be much better.

I purchased my tree from Four Winds and it it arrived looking like this:

{{gwi:616970}}

{{gwi:616972}}

Considering that it had traveled across the country (literally, since it went from California to Massachusetts), I thought it looked great. The size was a bit disappointing, though. I purchased the three-year-old tree, and the tree they advertized was quite a bit bigger and fuller than what I received. You can see the three sizes of trees they offer posted below for comparison. Still, I plan on buying from them again, no question.

When I removed the bag and the wood chips they use for shipping the roots looked thus:

{{gwi:616974}}

I immediately put the tree in warm water to soak for half an hour before planting. Yes, that's a garbage can... We're all about multitaskers here.

{{gwi:616976}}

As it soaked, I got my stuff together, including my pot and 5-1-1 mix very kindly provided by Meyermike (thanks, Mike, you're amazing!).

{{gwi:616978}}

And a blurry close-up of the 5-1-1 mix:

{{gwi:616980}}

Once it was done soaking, I mounded up some of the mix in the bottom, stuffed a big hand-full of the mix into the root ball and then planted it, making sure to work the mix into the roots. In the process of planting/destroying my living room:

{{gwi:616982}}

I then watered it heavily until the water ran out the bottom. Over the next two weeks I kept it in the shade and dappled light as it transitioned. Over the last week or so I've been leaving it in the sun more.

For the most part things are going pretty well. I'm getting some yellow leaves on the bottom, but I haven't been using Foliage Pro yet (it arrives this week). I'm hoping that that takes care of it. There is no sign of anything but leaves yet, but the new growth is taking off and flourishing. Updated pictures coming soon.

After much thought and consideration, I decided to name her Lovely Lemon. Friend and family now ask about her by name, which makes me think that a) I have really patient friends and family and b) I need to spend more time here to give them a break from tree chatter.

Thanks so much for reading, and thank you in advance for the advice I'm sure to need over the coming months and years. It will be great to have you all along for the ride.

Lovely Lemon happily planted,if still a little crooked in the pot:

{{gwi:616983}}

Comments (22)

Sponsored
Haus Studio
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry & Design Studio