SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
spruceman

Deodar--spring frost/freeze sensitivity

spruceman
15 years ago

I just got my shipment from Forest Farm. Included are two deodar cedars. One, 6' feet tall, has its buds already green, but not looking like they will break open very soon. The other, ABOUT 30" tall, looks completely dormant.

This is a problem when I get trees from Oregon. I thought by having them shipped in mid-March, I would get them still dormant. Well, in one case, not so.

Anyway, we can still get a hard freeze here, so if I plant the larger deodar out now, can it be killed? It is too large for me to protect easily.

And if the buds progress so they are more fully open and shoot growth has begun by mid-April, will a moderate frost kill them?

With some trees, such as larch, I know they can withstand some moderately freezing temps--down to 20 degrees f--if they have leafed out only with their "spur" leaves. The growth of larch shoots are more tender.

So are deodars relatively sensitive to freezes and/or spring frosts? I am not sure it is a good idea to hold the larger deodar for 6 weeks after it has been shipped and shaken up so much in its pot.

Information/advice please.

--Spruce

Comments (6)