SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
crazydogs

Sunday Trivia

Good morning, ladies and gentlemen.

Today is June 19th. I am wishing that I were already on vacation. Two more days to go. My last day of school is our 14th anniversary and the first day of summer. We are celebrating by going to see the second installment of the director's cut of The Lord of the Rings on the big screen-saw the first last Tuesday and the third will be a week from Tuesday. We are such Tolkien fanatics. Guess we are getting old, too, when a movie is our big celebration-ha!

oh, and TM, I am very impressed that you were a math and science teacher and in HS no less. I knew you were smart, but wow, it takes someone very special to survive that!

Anyway, many things have happened on this date: Anne Boleyn was beheaded in 1536. In 1865, Federal troops informed the slaves in Texas of their freedom and that is celebrated as Juneteenth. Aung Sun Suu Kyi, the human rights activist and Peace Prize winner was born.

Most importantly, the first Women's Rights Convention convened in Seneca Falls, NY on June 19, 1848. Elizabeth Cady Stanton (only 32 years old at the time) and Lucretia Mott organized the convention which was attended by about 300 people including 40 men. Frederick Douglass was one of the speakers and he was the one who convinced the women to include the demand for suffrage (they were going to drop that from the list perhaps due to the fact that many of the attendees were Quakers and even Quaker men rarely voted). Anyway, the resolutions were all passed by the convention. Only one signer, Charlotte Wood,was still alive to cast her ballot in 1920 when women in the US were finally able to vote.

So, do you know which country was the first to give women the vote?

Comments (20)

Sponsored
Rodriguez Construction Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading Home Builders in Franklin County, OH