SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tillygrower

Potted Meyer Lemon in Gritty Mix-- Failure to Thrive

tillygrower
10 years ago

I am posting this picture to see if anyone can help me figure out what I am doing wrong with this Improved Meyer lemon. I bought this tree last spring from Four Winds. It was potted immediately in gritty mix in a clay pot, and grown outdoors for the summer. I brought it in for the winter. It had two flushes of blooms, but they all fell off, yielding no lemons. When I brought the plant back outside this spring, I decided to follow Johnmerr's advice that citrus sometimes prefers plastic pots, and I moved it to a plastic pot. It is in full sun. I may have fertilized it too sparsely last year, so this year I have fertilized it weekly with FoliagePro 1-1.5 tsp/gal. Early in the summer it made one flush of blooms (with purple bases), and formed a few tiny lemons, but those, too, all dropped off. Having previously grown a Meyer lemon in MG soil, I'd like to blame the gritty mix, but it was mixed exactly according to Al's formula, and I know many others have had great success with growing in this mix. I am really frustrated by not being able to get this tree to thrive. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Comments (27)