SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
karinl_gw

Type 2 vs. Type 3 in shrubs

karinl
18 years ago

I know there has been discussion about this before, with one thread still on the first page (http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/clematis/msg101536088821.html?8), but I wanted to narrow down the question of growing type 2 clematis through shrubs (and this will show that I haven't shopped for Clematis books yet!).

I have a Belle of Woking looking for a spot, and the spot available is to clamber through a Vitex shrub which will get a hefty pruning every year or two (she said confidently). I'm thinking that I can prune the shrub and probably sort out at least the bottom six feet or so of Clematis stem(s) to leave intact. My question is, is that enough to get a few shoots for blooming? I'm not that big a fan of the "masses of bloom" look; as long as I get a few flowers to look at I'll be happy.

The story about Type 2 is always that they bloom first on shoots that sprout from old wood, but what is not clear to me is whether that means it only sprouts from last year's wood, or whether it also sprouts from really old wood, like a stem that is several years old and quite woody? And can I expect to get more shoots growing from the base of a type 2 or will it stay with a single stem?

Comments (12)