SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pippi21

Did I goof on my Comtesse de Brouchard?

pippi21
13 years ago

On Sunday, I cut my Comtesse de Brouchard clematis down to about 18 inches above the ground. The man that has been doing all of our prunning of our shrubbery and rose bushes and Clematis has not showed up this year. I spoke with him in early Sept. asking him to come first week in Oct. We've had lots of rain so I'm assumming he's just behind. I decided to cut back the mentioned clematis myself. He prunned them back in 2009 but I don't know if it was Spring or Fall when he did the Fall maintence. Dr. Ruppel and Westerplatte are Group B, where Comtesse de Brouchard is Group C or Type II..

I know we always take our trellis down and store it in the garage over winter, mainly for outside appearance. We always cut the clematis back in the Fall but I never fed them but Mr. B. did fed them something, I think it was lime but not sure. Might have been some basic fertilizer.

The Westerplatte and Dr. Ruppel were purchased in 2007. The foliage of the Westerplatte are like they are dry and burnt to a crisp. It has not done well since we bought it. Dr. Ruppel after the prunning last year flourished beautifully and there are still some blooms on it. I'm thinking of cutting Westerplatte back just like I did the Comtesse..maybe that's what it needs. I've looked on the internet and don't understand the prunning instructions, about old wood and new wood, blah, blah, blah..

Comments (7)