SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
norvipd_gw

Help with Recovering Marsh Grapefruit

norvipd
17 years ago

I have a Marsh grapefruit in a pot (had it for 2.5 years). It has done well but this winter it was indoors and had a rough fight with scale. It lost most of its leaves and when it came outside for spring summer it suffered SERIOUS wood dieback. Compounding that, wind from a storm broke another branch and stripped most of the leaves.

After pruning the dead wood, what I've been left with is a solid trunk (~1 inch caliper) and 1 of the initial scaffolds that has two hardened, but young branches each with only a small cluster of leaves. From some of the pruning wounds it was oozing sap.

I was worried it wouldn't make it, but recently it has started a growth flush. Unfortunately all the growth is only 0.5" to 2" above the graft. The original scaffolds were about 12 inches above the graft.

Normally I would immediately prune growth this low on my other trees to encourage leafing out higher on the trunk or existing branches which is where I'd especially prefer a grapefruit to leaf out. But as the tree is already in such rough shape, I'm wondering if I should just let it flush down low for fear of killing it by removing too much of its leaf area.

Any of the experienced cultivators out there have any good suggestions on how to manage this tree? I've been letting the new growth flush for about 1.5 weeks, and they're growing well, but I'm not seeing any new buds up high on the tree yet.

Thanks for any advice.

Pelham

Comments (4)