SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
karolina11_gw

I keep killing Clematis!

Karolina11
10 years ago

I have been gardening for a few years and have never had issues with the perennials, roses, shrubs, trees, etc. However, I seem to have found a plant that I cannot keep alive! I got my first Clematis 'Vino' through a mail order source about three weeks ago. Day temperatures in the 70s, nights in the 50s. Took it out of its coir pot, planted in full sun, in soil that is largely silt so no drainage issues. I didn't fertilize with anything. Watered it upon planting. Next day its showing classic stress symptoms, browning and wilting leaves. I move the trellis around to provide it with a little more shade but it is still in dappled bright light. Two days later is looks about done and the soil is dry so I water it again. Less than a week later it is nothing but a twig. I email the supplier who is great and sends a replacement with no questions asked. I plant this on Friday afternoon next to the one that died and water. It looks fine yesterday. Today I go out and it is nothing but a twig. Can anyone give me some ideas on why these might be going so quickly?? I have never experienced anything like it! I figured you experts might have some ideas.

Thanks for your help!

Comments (3)