SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
plantmaven

OT, Serious dog illness

plantmaven
15 years ago

My little poodle, BeBe, is seriously ill. He has not eaten in 3 weeks, except once in a while we can get a teaspoon of baby food down.

We follow him around cleaning large globs of regurgitated foam off his face. When he starts gagging, he needs to walk. We were surprised he lived through the night. We are terrified that he will aspirate on some of the foam. He is a tough little guy.

Yesterday they did birium xrays. His esophagus is very enlarged. I could see on the xrays that there was no damage or obstruction. The esophagus being large allows a large airpocket to form and that keeps the food from going down. It doesn't make sense, but I saw on the xray that the birium just sat there in the pocket under his back bone. I then saw an xray where they pushed a probe on down to his stomach, so again no obstruction. Most likely the neurotransmitters are not sending the message to the muscles of his esophagus. It is as if the muscles are paralized.

They sent us home with 2 cans of canine critical care ensure type liquid. We hope to be able to get a teaspon of this down every 3 hours. Of course he won't touch it. I am going to mix it with baby food. It has to be liquid, as the part still open is very small. It looked to be about 1/2 the size of a match stick. The good news is he is drinking water. I know they can live a while without food, but not water.

This is so rare a defect, that this is the first time the vet has seen it outside of vet school. He is in contact with the doctors at Texas A & M University vet school on a regular basis, making care decisions. In one artical I read the vet had seen this 4 times in 32 years.

He will live the rest of his life with his food and water dishes elevated so the substances can go down easier.

We are hoping the test results for that test on Tuesday will be back monday. The test was for a neuromuscular disease, named myasthenia Gravis.

I am not sure where we go from here, but the artical gives me hope.

Here is a link that might be useful: megaesophagus

Comments (43)

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio